Page "Apollo, Pennsylvania" Paragraph 2
First settled in 1790, the log cabin home of the Drake family still stands from that era, and is one of the oldest buildings in Armstrong County.
In 1895, company's president, George Gibson McMurtry, hired famous landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted to design a town for Apollo Iron & Steel's workers.
The Roaring Run Recreation Area is located one mile upriver of Apollo and can be accessed via the Apollo Kiski River Trail.
Stone remnants of the Western Division of the Pennsylvania Mainline Canal, that passed through Apollo and operated between 1825-1850, can be found along the Roaring Run Trail.
The canal made use of the Kiskiminetas River using a system of slackwater dams, and the boats floated on the river, entering a lock located at the mouth of Roaring Run.
From there the canal ran along the path of the current Roaring Run Trail, through the entire length of the Borough, entering the Kiskiminetas River again across the river from where the current borough of East Vandergrift is situated.