Page "Connaught Tunnel" Paragraph 3
Announced in February 1913, the contract was awarded on July 1, 1913, to Foley Bros. Welch and Stewart.
A small tunnel was built, from which cross cuts were made to the main tunnel so work could carry on at a number of headings.
It had a grade of only 0. 95 per cent westward, and was tangent ; light at one end can be seen at the other, more than five miles away.