Help


from Wikipedia
« »  
In March 1697, when Henry Maundrell visited Jacob's Well, the depth of the water in the well measured.
Edward Robinson visited the site in the mid-19th century, describing the " remains of the ancient church ," lying just above the well to the southwest as a " shapeless mass of ruins, among which are seen fragments of gray, granite columns, still retaining their ancient polish.
" Local Christians continued to venerate the site even when it was without a church.
In 1860, the site was obtained by the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate and a new church, consecrated to St. Photina the Samaritan, was constructed shortly thereafter ; a 1927 earthquake in Palestine destroyed that building.

0.210 seconds.