Boston Public Library operates the Mattapan Branch Library.
On December 18, 1849 a Mattapan resident named Increase S. Smith opened the Mattapan Library Association.
In 1870 Dorchester, Massachusetts, which included Mattapan, was annexed into Boston.
The Mattapan branch began as a reading room attached to the Oakland Hall Building's delivery station.
In 1923 the reading room was declared a branch of the Boston Public Library.
On June 22, 1931 the Mattapan Library Branch opened on Hazelton Street.
The current library opened on February 28, 2009 at 1350 Blue Hill Avenue.