[permalink] [id link]
* 1939 – Johnny Maestro, American singer ( Johnny Maestro & The Brooklyn Bridge ) ( d. 2010 )
Some Related Sentences
1939 and –
Subsequent formalizations were framed as attempts to define " effective calculability " or " effective method "; those formalizations included the Gödel – Herbrand – Kleene recursive functions of 1930, 1934 and 1935, Alonzo Church's lambda calculus of 1936, Emil Post's " Formulation 1 " of 1936, and Alan Turing's Turing machines of 1936 – 7 and 1939.
* 1939 – NBC inaugurates its regularly scheduled television service in New York City, broadcasting President Franklin D. Roosevelt's N. Y. World's Fair opening day ceremonial address.
* 1939 – Edward Patten, American singer-songwriter and producer ( Gladys Knight & the Pips ) ( d. 2005 )
* 1939 – Albert Einstein and Leó Szilárd write a letter to Franklin D. Roosevelt, urging him to begin the Manhattan Project to develop a nuclear weapon.
Eastern European theorists include Pyotr Stolypin ( 1862 – 1911 ) and Alexander Chayanov ( 1888 – 1939 ) in Russia ; Adolph Wagner ( 1835 – 1917 ), and Karl Oldenberg in Germany, and Bolesław Limanowski ( 1835 – 1935 ) in Poland.
1939 and Johnny
Trumbo's 1939 anti-war novel, Johnny Got His Gun, won one of the early National Book Awards: the Most Original Book of 1939.
* 1880 – Johnny Gruelle, American cartoonist, children's book writer and creator of Raggedy Ann ( d. 1939 )
In 1939 country artists began playing boogie-woogie when Johnny Barfield recorded " Boogie Woogie ".
Some of Lamour's other notable films include John Ford's The Hurricane ( 1937 ), Spawn of the North ( 1938 ; with George Raft, Henry Fonda, and John Barrymore ), Disputed Passage ( 1939 ), Johnny Apollo ( 1940 ; with Tyrone Power ), Aloma of the South Seas ( 1941 ), Beyond the Blue Horizon ( 1942 ), Dixie ( 1943 ; with Bing Crosby ),
The most popular 1930s standard, Johnny Green's " Body and Soul ", was introduced in Broadway and became a huge hit after Coleman Hawkins's 1939 recording.
* Three Days of the Condo – The commercial for " Gone With the Wind Estates " originally used the famous theme song from the 1939 film of the same name ; it was replaced, though it remained intact when Venus and Johnny sang it during the closing tag.
In a 1939 interview, she expressed her interest in starring opposite Power in Johnny Apollo ( 1940 ).
* Johnny Metras – builder, 1980 ( St. Michael's College ( ORFU ) as player 1933 – 34 ; University of Western Ontario as assistant coach 1935 – 38, head coach 1939 – 69, and other roles ).
In 2008, McKenzie earned critical acclaim for his solo performance in the " live on stage, on film " version of Dalton Trumbo's 1939 novel Johnny Got His Gun, his first starring role in a feature film.
Wald produced and wrote many films between the 1930s and 1960s including Stars Over Broadway ( 1935 ), The Roaring Twenties ( 1939 ), On Your Toes ( 1939, in collaboration with playwright Lawrence Riley ), They Drive by Night ( 1940 ), Navy Blues ( 1941 ), Across the Pacific ( 1942 ), The Man Who Came to Dinner ( 1942 ), Destination Tokyo ( 1943 ), Mildred Pierce ( 1945 ), Johnny Belinda ( 1948 ), Key Largo ( 1948 ), Always Leave Them Laughing ( 1949 ), The Glass Menagerie ( 1950 ), Perfect Strangers ( 1950 ), Two Tickets to Broadway ( 1951 ), The Blue Veil ( 1951 ), Peyton Place ( 1957 ), An Affair to Remember ( 1957 ), In Love and War ( 1958 ), The Sound and the Fury ( 1959 ), Sons and Lovers ( 1960 ), Return to Peyton Place ( 1961 ) and Wild in the Country ( 1961 ).
Eddie James Kendrick was born in Union Springs, Alabama on December 17, 1939, the son of Johnny and Lee Bell Kendrick.
The special was based on the Johnny Marks song by the same name ; the song taken from the 1939 poem of the same title written by Marks ' brother-in-law, Robert L. May.
After his hands had healed, Hostak returned with a third-round knockout of Johnny Erjavec in Seattle, before facing Krieger in a rematch in Seattle on June 27, 1939.