[permalink] [id link]
* 1943 – World War II: First Québec Conference of Winston Churchill, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and William Lyon Mackenzie King begins.
Some Related Sentences
1943 and –
* 1943 – World War II: Operation Mincemeat: The submarine surfaces in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Spain to deposit a dead man planted with false invasion plans and dressed as a British military intelligence officer.
* 1943 – Japanese forces evacuate New Georgia Island in the Pacific Theater of Operations during World War II.
* 1943 – World War II: the Motor Torpedo Boat PT-109 is rammed by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri and sinks.
1943 and World
While convalescing in his Virginia home he wrote a book recording his prison experiences and escape, entitled: They Shall Not Have Me Published originally in ( Helion's ) English by Dutton & Co. of New York, in 1943, the book was received by the press as a work of astonishing literary power and one of the most realistic accounts of World War 2, from the French side.
After years of working on numerous films as an assistant director and scriptwriter, he made his debut as a director in 1943, during World War II with the popular action film Sanshiro Sugata ( a. k. a. Judo Saga ).
* 1943 – World War II: The U. S. Eighth Air Force suffers the loss of 60 bombers on the Schweinfurt – Regensburg mission.
* 1943 – World War II: The U. S. Seventh Army under General George S. Patton arrives in Messina, Italy, followed several hours later by the British 8th Army under Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery, thus completing the Allied conquest of Sicily.
* 1943 – World War II: The Royal Air Force begins Operation Hydra, the first air raid of the Operation Crossbow strategic bombing campaign against Germany's V-weapon program.
* 1943 – World War II: The discovery of a mass grave of Polish prisoners of war killed by Soviet forces in the Katyń Forest Massacre is announced, causing a diplomatic rift between the Polish government in exile in London from the Soviet Union, which denies responsibility.
* 1943 – World War II: Operation Vengeance, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto is killed when his aircraft is shot down by U. S. fighters over Bougainville Island.
Teacher training was interrupted during World War II between 1941 and 1943, when Alexander accompanied children and teachers of the Little School to Stow, Massachusetts to join his brother.
* 1943 – World War II: American bomber aircraft accidentally cause more than 900 civilian deaths, including 209 children, and 1300 wounded among the civilian population of the Belgian town of Mortsel.
* 1943 – World War II: In Poland, German troops enter the Warsaw ghetto to round up the remaining Jews, beginning the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.
In 1943, during World War II, the Portuguese rules António de Oliveira Salazar leased air and naval bases in the Azores to the British Empire.
During World War II, large parts of Berlin were destroyed in the 1943 – 45 air raids and during the Battle of Berlin.
In late 1942 after several band members had left the group, and as World War II raged, Wills joined the Army, but received a medical discharge in 1943.
Chiang Kai-shek, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Winston Churchill met at the Cairo Conference ( 1943 ) | Cairo Conference in 1943 during World War II. With the attack on Pearl Harbor and the opening of the Pacific War, China became one of the Allied Powers.
Casablanca was an important strategic port during World War II and hosted the Casablanca Conference in 1943, in which Churchill and Roosevelt discussed the progress of the war.
* 1943 – World War II – After eight days of brutal house-to-house fighting, the battle of Ortona concludes with the victory of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division over the German 1st Parachute Division and the capture of the Italian town of Ortona.
* 1943 – World War II: U. S. Army Air Force begins attacking Germany's secret weapons bases in Operation Crossbow.