[permalink] [id link]
* 1949 – Captain James Gallagher lands his B-50 Superfortress Lucky Lady II in Fort Worth, Texas after completing the first non-stop around-the-world airplane flight in 94 hours and one minute.
Some Related Sentences
1949 and –
After 1890 came philosopher Josiah Royce ( 1855 – 1916 ), botanist Liberty Hyde Bailey ( 1858 – 1954 ), the Southern Agrarians of the 1920s and 1930s, novelist John Steinbeck ( 1902 – 1968 ), historian A. Whitney Griswold ( 1906 – 1963 ), environmentalist Aldo Leopold ( 1887 – 1948 ), Ralph Borsodi ( 1886 – 1977 ), and present-day authors Wendell Berry ( b. 1934 ), Gene Logsdon ( b. 1932 ), Paul Thompson, and Allan C. Carlson ( b. 1949 ).
1949 and Captain
The first popular science-fiction program on American television was the children's adventure serial Captain Video and His Video Rangers, which ran from June 1949 to April 1955.
* In 1949, the Lucky Lady II, a Boeing B-50 Superfortress of the U. S. Air Force, commanded by Captain James Gallagher, became the first aeroplane to circle the world nonstop.
Consequently, Cave 1 was rediscovered on 28 January 1949, by Belgian United Nations observer Captain Phillipe Lippens and Arab Legion Captain Akkash el-Zebn.
* Timely Comics ' Marvel Mystery Comics with the Human torch (# 92, June 1949 ), Sub-Mariner Comics (# 32, June 1949 ), and Captain America Comics ( then Captain America's Weird Tales ) at issue # 75 ( February 1950 ); and a transformation to the Atlas Comics logo on comics cover-dated November 1951.
* Captain in The Father ( August Strindberg ) directed by Dennis Arundell with Freda Jackson as Laura, Embassy Theatre November 1948 ; and Duchess Theatre January 1949
From the late 1940s he played in more prestigious pictures, including Captain from Castile starring Tyrone Power, Key Largo with Humphrey Bogart, ( 1948 ), Lust for Gold with Glenn Ford ( 1949 ), Broken Arrow ( 1950 ) with James Stewart, War Arrow ( 1953 ) with Maureen O ' Hara, Jeff Chandler and Noah Beery, Jr., Drums Across the River ( 1954 ), Walk the Proud Land ( 1956 ) with Audie Murphy and Anne Bancroft, Alias Jesse James ( 1959 ) with Bob Hope, and Indian Paint ( 1964 ) with Johnny Crawford.
Deeply troubled by the conflict between his pacifism and his training for war, he spoke at length with his company commander, Captain Edward Courtney Bullock Danforth ( 1894 – 1973 ) of Augusta, Georgia and his battalion commander, Major Gonzalo Edward Buxton ( 1880 – 1949 ) of Providence, Rhode Island, a devout Christian himself.
The US children's radio series Little Orphan Annie ( 1931 – 1940 ) and Captain Midnight ( 1938 – 1949 ), and the subsequent Captain Midnight TV series ( 1954 – 1956 ), were sponsored by Ovaltine.
Marvel Comics was rechristened Marvel Mystery Comics with issue # 2 ( Dec. 1939 ) — the magazine would continue under that title through # 92 ( June 1949 ) before becoming Marvel Tales through # 159 ( Aug. 1957 ) — and Timely began publishing additional series, beginning with Daring Mystery Comics # 1 ( Jan. 1940 ), Mystic Comics # 1 ( March 1940 ), Red Raven Comics # 1 ( Aug. 1940 ), The Human Torch # 2 ( premiering Fall 1940 with no cover date and having taken over the numbering from the unsuccessful Red Raven ), and Captain America Comics # 1 ( March 1941 ).
David Cornell Leestma ( born May 6, 1949 ) is a former American astronaut and retired Captain in the United States Navy.
The Straffan Estate was sold by Captain Frederick Bertram Barton (" Derick ") in 1949, a father to Anthony Frederick and brother to Ronald.
Since 1949, the theory that Drake landed at Drakes Bay has been advocated by the Drake Navigators Guild in California, and notably by its former president Captain Adolph S. Oko, Jr., its former honorary chairman Chester W. Nimitz, and its longtime former president Raymond Aker.
Frank Lee Culbertson Jr. ( born on May 15, 1949 ) is a former NASA astronaut and a retired Captain in the United States Navy.
Group Captain Leslie Bonnet, RAF officer, writer and originator of the Welsh Harlequin Duck and his wife Joan Hutt, artist both lived at Ymwlch just outside Criccieth from 1949 until their deaths in 1985.
Hastings played Captain Video's teenaged companion, the Video Ranger, on the DuMont television series Captain Video and His Video Rangers, from 1949 to 1955.
The first really popular science-fiction program on American television was the children ’ s adventure serial Captain Video and His Video Rangers, which ran for six years ( June 1949 to April 1955 ) on the short-lived DuMont Network.
1949 and James
Fuller lectured at NC State University in Raleigh in 1949, where he met James Fitzgibbon, who would become a close friend and colleague.
The marriage produced eight children: Geraldine Leigh ( b. 1944 ), Michael John ( b. 1946 ), Josephine Hannah ( b. 1949 ), Victoria ( b. 1951 ), Eugene Anthony ( b. 1953 ), Jane Cecil ( b. 1957 ), Annette Emily ( b. 1959 ), and Christopher James ( b. 1962 ).
* Spouses: Ruth Doreen Crick, née Dodd ( b. 1913, m. 18 February 1940 – 8 May 1947 ), now Mrs. James Stewart Potter ; Odile Crick, née Speed ( b. 11 August 1920, m. 14 August 1949 – 28 July 2004, d. 5 July 2007 )
At the end of 1949, he went on tour in Paris with a group including Tadd Dameron, Kenny Clarke ( who remained in Europe after the tour ), and James Moody.
* Agee, James, " Comedy's Greatest Era " from Life ( September 5, 1949 ), reprinted in Agee on Film ( 1958 ) McDowell, Obolensky, ( 2000 ) Modern Library
Tracy finished off the 1940s with Malaya ( 1949 ), an adventure film with James Stewart, and Adam's Rib ( 1949 ), a comedy with Tracy and Hepburn playing married lawyers who oppose each other in court.