[permalink] [id link]
* 1956 – President Gamal Abdel Nasser of Egypt vows to reconquer Palestine.
Some Related Sentences
1956 and –
* 1956 – After going bankrupt in 1955, the American broadcaster DuMont Television Network makes its final broadcast, a boxing match from St. Nicholas Arena in New York in the Boxing from St. Nicholas Arena series.
* 1956 – Kirk Brandon, English singer-songwriter and guitarist ( Theatre of Hate, Spear of Destiny and Dead Men Walking )
* 1956 –, the world's first successful container ship, leaves Port Newark, New Jersey for Houston, Texas.
1956 and President
Any attempt to reconcile this statement of the central issue in the campaign of 1956 with the nature of the man who could not conceive it as the central issue will at least resolve our confusions about the chaotic and misleading results of the earnestness of both doctors and President in a situation which should never have arisen.
He served as chairman of the Cartoonists ' Committee in President Dwight D. Eisenhower's People-to-People program in 1954 ( although Capp had actually supported Adlai Stevenson for president in 1952 and 1956 ), which was organized to promote Savings bonds for the U. S. Treasury.
* 1956 – A joint resolution of the U. S. Congress is signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, authorizing In God we trust as the U. S. national motto.
With the exceptions of the Presidential elections of 1956 and 2008, Missouri voters have elected the next President of the United States in every election since 1904.
On September 21, 1956, Rigoberto López Pérez, sneaked into a party attended by the President and shot him in the chest.
Luis Somoza Debayle became President ( 29 September 1956 to 1 May 1963 ), and was effectively dictator of the country until his death, but his brother Anastasio Somoza Debayle held great power as head of the National Guard.
* 1877 – Alben W. Barkley, American politician and 35th Vice President of the United States ( d. 1956 )
* 1958 – President of Pakistan Iskander Mirza, with the support of General Ayub Khan and the army, suspends the 1956 constitution, imposes martial law, and cancels the elections scheduled for January 1959.
After the United Kingdom and the United States withdrew their pledge to support the construction of the Aswan Dam due to Egyptian overtures towards the Soviet Union, Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser nationalized the canal in 1956 and transferred it to the Suez Canal Authority, intending to finance the dam project using revenue from the canal.
Urho Kaleva Kekkonen (; 3 September 1900-31 August 1986 ), was a Finnish politician who served as Prime Minister of Finland ( 1950 – 1953, 1954 – 1956 ) and later as the eighth and longest-serving President of Finland ( 1956 – 1982 ).
Of the thirteen Presidential elections from 1956 to 2004, nine featured the incumbent President ; the other four ( 1960, 1968, 1988, 2000 ) all featured the incumbent Vice President.
Nixon was also the first Vice President to assume temporary control of the executive branch, which he did after Eisenhower suffered a heart attack on September 24, 1955, ileitis in June 1956, and a stroke in November 1957.
The 1956 Constitution provided the country with Semi-Presidential system and the office of President was inaugurated the same year.