[permalink] [id link]
* 1972 – Vietnam War: Easter Offensive – American forces begin sustained air strikes and naval bombardments.
Some Related Sentences
1972 and –
He was the fourth child of Ondrej Varchola ( Americanized as Andrew Warhola, Sr., 1889 – 1942 ) and Júlia ( née Zavacká, 1892 – 1972 ), whose first child was born in their homeland and died before their move to the U. S. Andy had two older brothers, Paul, born about 1923, and John, born about 1925.
* 1886 – Athenagoras I, Greek religious leader, 268th Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople ( d. 1972 )
1972 and Vietnam
* 1972 – Vietnam War: Increased American bombing in Vietnam prompts anti-war protests in Los Angeles, New York City, and San Francisco.
Skyjacked ( film ) is a 1972 film about a crazed Vietnam war veteran hijacking a Boeing 747 and demanding to be taken to Russia by the captain, Charlton Heston.
* 1972 – Vietnam War: For the first time since November 1967, American B-52 bombers reportedly begin bombing North Vietnam.
* 1972 – Vietnam War: Nguyen Hue Offensive – The North Vietnamese 320th Division forces 5, 000 South Vietnamese troops to retreat and traps about 2, 500 others northwest of Kontum.
* 1972 – Vietnam War: Henry Kissinger announces that North Vietnam has left private peace negotiations, in Paris.
* 1972 – Vietnam War: President Richard Nixon announces that the United States will engage North Vietnam in Operation Linebacker II, a series of Christmas bombings, after peace talks collapsed with North Vietnam on the 13th.
* 1972 – Vietnam War: As part of Operation Linebacker II, 120 American B-52 Stratofortress bombers attacked Hanoi, including 78 launched from Andersen Air Force Base in Guam, the largest single combat launch in Strategic Air Command history.
* 1972 – Vietnam War: Vietnamization – South Korea withdraws 11, 000 of its 48, 000 troops from Vietnam.
* 1972 – Vietnam War: Associated Press photographer Nick Ut takes his Pulitzer Prize-winning photo of a naked 9-year-old Phan Thị Kim Phúc running down a road after being burned by napalm.
During the 1970s, he became a Hollywood star with his portrayals of a businessman mixed up with murder in Deliverance ( 1972 ), a paraplegic Vietnam veteran in Coming Home ( 1978 ), for which he won an Academy Award for Best Actor, and a penniless ex-boxing champion in The Champ ( 1979 ).
* 1972 – Vietnam War – U. S. President Richard Nixon announces his order to place mines in major North Vietnamese ports in order to stem the flow of weapons and other goods to that nation.
1972 and War
This was started by Roy Noble, who built the guitar played by Clarence White from 1968 to 1972, and was followed by Bill Collings, Marty Lanham, Dana Bourgeois, Randy Lucas, Lynn Dudenbostel and Wayne Henderson, a few of the luthiers building guitars today inspired by vintage Martins, the pre – World War II models in particular.
* 1972 – Vijay Diwas: ( Victory Day ) is commemorated every 16 December in India as it marks its military victory over Pakistan in 1971 during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
And from the 1948 Arab – Israeli War until the early 1970s, 800, 000 – 1, 000, 000 Jews left, fled, or were expelled from their homes in Arab countries ; 260, 000 of them reached Israel between 1948 and 1951 ; and 600, 000 by 1972.
* 1972 – Pakistan launched its Nuclear detterent program few weeks after its defeat in Bangladesh Liberation War and Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
* 1972 – Vietnam War: The Easter Offensive begins after North Vietnamese forces cross into the Demilitarized Zone ( DMZ ) of South Vietnam.
* 1972 – Vietnam War: Vietnamization – The United States Army turns over the massive Long Binh military base to South Vietnam.
* 1972 – Vietnam War: White House Press Secretary Ron Ziegler tells the press that there will be no more public announcements concerning American troop withdrawals from Vietnam due to the fact that troop levels are now down to 27, 000.
* 1971 – Vietnam War: as part of Vietnamization, US President Richard M. Nixon sets February 1, 1972 as the deadline for the removal of another 45, 000 American troops from Vietnam.