[permalink] [id link]
* 1978: Bell Labs launched a trial of the first commercial cellular network in Chicago using Advanced Mobile Phone System ( AMPS ).
Some Related Sentences
1978 and Bell
Advanced Mobile Phone System ( AMPS ) is an analog mobile phone system standard developed by Bell Labs, and officially introduced in the Americas in 1978, Israel in 1986, and Australia in 1987.
* C. Gordon Bell, J. Craig Mudge, John E. McNamara, Computer Engineering: A DEC View of Hardware Systems Design ( Digital, 1978 )
Osvaldo César Ardiles ( born 3 August 1952 in Bell Ville, Córdoba Province ), often referred to in Britain as Ossie Ardiles, is a football coach, pundit and former midfielder who won the 1978 World Cup as part of the Argentine national team.
Notable Presidents of IEEE and its founding organizations include Elihu Thomson ( AIEE, 1889 – 1890 ), Alexander Graham Bell ( AIEE, 1891 – 1892 ), Charles Proteus Steinmetz ( AIEE, 1901 – 1902 ), Lee De Forest ( IRE, 1930 ), Frederick E. Terman ( IRE, 1941 ), William R. Hewlett ( IRE, 1954 ), Ernst Weber ( IRE, 1959 ; IEEE, 1963 ), and Ivan Getting ( IEEE, 1978 ).
* 1965 — Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson, astronomers at Bell Labs discover the 2. 7 K microwave background radiation, which earns them the 1978 Nobel Prize in Physics.
In 1978, Pickens lent his voice to theme park Silver Dollar City as a character named Rube Dugan, for a ride called " Rube Dugan's Diving Bell ", The diving bell was a simulation ride that took passengers on a journey to the bottom of Lake Silver and back.
" Hazell / Night Flighting " – Maggie Bell: SSK 19412 ( UK, March 1978 ), SSK 19412 P ( UK picture disc, May 1979 ), SS 1859 ( Australia )
In 1978 Pollard rejoined, this time replacing Eric Bell alongside Shiels, Bridgeman, Brady and Joe Staunton ( guitar, ex-Orphanage ).
By 1978 it was in use on 82 UNIX machines inside the Bell system, primarily for software distribution.
* Group of Thirty-In 1978 the Foundation invited Geoffrey Bell to set up this high-powered and influential advisory group on global financial issues, whose current chairman is a longtime Rockefeller associate Paul Volcker.
In 1978, a concept devised by Max Bell for Dolby Laboratories called " split surround " was tested with the movie " Superman ( film )".
The show's distribution included New York City, Los Angeles, Washington, D. C. and Boston at one point, though most television stations still preferred to continue producing their own versions, with the most popular being Bob Bell and WGN-TV Chicago's Bozo's Circus which went national via cable and satellite in 1978.
In 1989 Castor, who divorced in 1978, married Samuel P. Bell III, an attorney and partner at Pennington, Moore, Wilkinson, Bell & Dunbar ( a Tallahassee law firm ).
1978 and Labs
In 1978 PWB supported a user community of about 1100 users in the Business Information Systems Programs ( BISP ) group of Bell Labs.
Probably the most photographed and well-known example is the 15 meter ( 50 foot ) long Holmdel Horn Antenna at Bell Labs in Holmdel, New Jersey, with which Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson discovered cosmic microwave background radiation in 1965, for which they won the 1978 Nobel Prize in Physics.
* Thomas B. London and John F. Reiser, A UNIX Operating System for the DEC VAX-11 / 780 Computer, internal Bell Labs memo dated July 7, 1978, online copy available at Dennis Ritchie's home page, or.
1978 and launched
In late December 1978, Vietnamese forces launched a full invasion of Cambodia, capturing Phnom Penh on January 7, 1979 and driving the remnants of Democratic Kampuchea's army westward toward Thailand.
Relative peace and stability prevailed until 1977 and 1978 when Katangan rebels, based in Angola, launched a series of invasions ( Shaba I and II ) into the Shaba ( Katanga ) region.
Between 1978 and 1986 the Derg launched eight unsuccessful major offensives against the independence movement.
In 1978, Greenpeace launched the original Rainbow Warrior, a, former fishing trawler named for the Cree legend that inspired early activist Robert Hunter on the first voyage to Amchitka.
* 1978 – Czech Vladimír Remek becomes the first non-Russian or non-American to go into space, when he is launched aboard Soyuz 28.
A new Spanish edition, Investigación y Ciencia was launched in Spain in 1976, followed by a French edition, Pour la Science, in France in 1977, and a German edition, Spektrum der Wissenschaft, in Germany in 1978.
In 1978 he had a significant impact upon IBM's thinking when he outlined his vision of the potential of personal computing to the team that three years later launched the IBM PC.
Following Vietnam's December 1978 invasion of Cambodia, China launched a retaliatory invasion of Vietnam's northern border region.
* Starlord was a weekly title ( originally intended to be monthly ) launched in 1978 following much the same format as 2000 AD and included Strontium Dog and Ro-Busters which introduced characters that would later reappear in ABC Warriors.
The United Nations launched Development Business in 1978 with the support of the World Bank, and other major development banks from around the world.
In June 1978 Science of Cambridge launched a microcomputer kit, the MK14, based on the National SC / MP chip.
Color television broadcasting, however, was not widely available until after 1978, when the government launched Argentina Televisora Color ( ATC ), now Channel 7 ( Argentina's principal public television station ).
Pioneer Venus 1 or Pioneer Venus Orbiter was launched in 1978, and studied the planet for more than a decade after orbital insertion in 1978.
* GOES 3, launched on June 16, 1978, used as a communications relay for the South Pole research station.
He launched unsuccessful congressional campaigns in the 1976 general election against the Democrat George H. Mahon and in the 1978 Republican primary against George W. Bush.
Giacconi's pioneering research continued in 1978 with the Einstein Observatory, the first fully imaging X-ray telescope put into space, and later with the Chandra X-ray Observatory, which was launched in 1999 and is still in operation.
In August 1978 the Canadian Department of Communications publicly launched it as Telidon, a " second generation " videotex / teletext service, and committed to a four year development plan to encourage rollout.