[permalink] [id link]
* 1998 – Former Chilean dictator General Augusto Pinochet is arrested in London on a warrant from Spain requesting his extradition on murder charges.
Some Related Sentences
1998 and –
* Guide to the Elements – Revised Edition, Albert Stwertka, ( Oxford University Press ; 1998 ) ISBN 0-19-508083-1
* 1998 – Travelers Group announces an agreement to undertake the $ 76 billion merger between Travelers and Citicorp, and the merger is completed on October 8, of that year, forming Citibank.
* 1998 – An earthquake in Slovenia, measuring 5. 6 on the Richter scale occurs near the town of Bovec.
Since the 1998 – 99 Ashes series, a Waterford Crystal representation of the Ashes urn has been presented to the winners of an Ashes series as the official trophy of that series.
As a compromise, the MCC commissioned a trophy in the form of a larger replica of the urn in Waterford Crystal to award to the winning team of each series from 1998 – 99.
After re-establishing its credibility in 1989, Australia underlined its superiority with victories in the 1990 – 91, 1993, 1994 – 95, 1997, 1998 – 99, 2001 and 2002 – 03 series, all by convincing margins.
* 1998 – Rozz Williams, American musician ( Christian Death, Shadow Project, and Premature Ejaculation ) ( b. 1963 )
1998 and Former
* Former U. S. President Bill Clinton was accused of perjury and as a result was impeached by the House of Representatives on 19 December 1998.
* June 7 – Former Brigadier-General Ansumane Mané seizes control over military barracks in Bissau, marking the beginning of the Guinea-Bissau Civil War ( 1998 – 99 ).
Former directors include Maxwell L. Anderson ( 1998 – 2003 ), David A. Ross ( 1991 – 1997 ), Thomas Armstrong III ( 1974 – 1990 ), and Juliana Rieser Force ( 1931 – 1948 ).
* Lenny Wilkens – Player 1989 and Coach 1998 ( Former player ( 1972 – 1974 ) and coach ( 1986 – 1993 )
Former Rangers manager Walter Smith then took over from Kendall in the summer of 1998 but only managed three successive finishes in the bottom half of the table.
Former University of Kentucky basketball star Jeff Sheppard, the Most Outstanding Player of the 1998 NCAA Tournament who briefly played in the NBA, now lives in London.
* The Reverend Christopher Ellis MA ( Oxon ) MPhil PhD ( Sussex ), Former Principal, Bristol Baptist College from September ; representative of the Baptist World Alliance at the 1998 Lambeth Conference ; member of the Council of the Baptist Union of Great Britain, Moderator of the Faith and Unity Executive, and delegate to conversations with the Church of England, and to the Worship and Spirituality Commission of the Baptist World Alliance
* Scott Brosius, Former Major League third baseman for the Oakland Athletics and New York Yankees, 1998 World Series MVP
Former leader Khamtai Siphandon succeeded Nouhak Phoumsavan in 1998 ( although some accounts have him succeeding Kaysone in 1992 ).
Former members included Chowan College ( 1998 – 2000 ), Ferrum College ( 1998 – 2000 ), Greensboro College ( 1999 – 2000 ), Methodist College ( 1998 – 2000 ), Buffalo State College ( 2004 – 2005 ) and SUNY Brockport ( 2004 – 2007 ).
He returned to the screen in 1998 in the action movie In The Hood and made a cameo in Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star ( 2003 ), playing himself in a song at the end.