[permalink] [id link]
* Civil disorder – A form of collective violence interfering with the peace, security, and normal functioning of the community.
Some Related Sentences
Civil and disorder
Continued disorder and brigandry prompted the Civil Governor, William Howard Taft, to maintain the PC as a para-military force to complete the pacification of the islands.
Civil disorder, also known as civil unrest or civil strife, is a broad term that is typically used by law enforcement to describe one or more forms of disturbance caused by a group of people.
Civil disorder also occupied the battalion, particularly when rioting occurred in August and October.
Civil disorder had to be settled down and unruly Cuban soldiers, still bearing arms, were ordered to remain outside the city.
Civil disorder is a broad term that is typically used by law enforcement to describe forms of disturbance.
Five days of race riots erupted in Washington, D. C. following the April 4, 1968 assassination of Civil Rights Movement-leader Martin Luther King, Jr. A wave of civil disorder affected at least 110 U. S. cities ; Washington, along with Chicago and Baltimore, were among the most affected.
Civil and –
Lincoln successfully led his country through its greatest constitutional, military and moral crisis – the American Civil War – preserving the Union while ending slavery, and promoting economic and financial modernization.
The American Civil War ( 1861 – 1865 ), in the United States often referred to as simply the Civil War and sometimes called the " War Between the States ", was a civil war fought over the secession of the Confederate States.
* 1862 – American Civil War: The Battle of Shiloh begins – in Tennessee, forces under Union General Ulysses S. Grant meet Confederate troops led by General Albert Sidney Johnston.
* 1865 – American Civil War: The Battle of Sayler's Creek – Confederate General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia fights its last major battle while in retreat from Richmond, Virginia.
* 1866 – The Grand Army of the Republic, an American patriotic organization composed of Union veterans of the American Civil War, is founded.
* 1861 – American Civil War: The war begins with Confederate forces firing on Fort Sumter, in the harbor of Charleston, South Carolina.
* 1862 – American Civil War: The Andrews Raid ( the Great Locomotive Chase ) occurred, starting from Big Shanty, Georgia ( now Kennesaw ).
* 1864 – American Civil War: The Fort Pillow massacre: Confederate forces kill most of the African American soldiers that surrendered at Fort Pillow, Tennessee.
* 1862 – American Civil War: the Confederate ironclad is scuttled on the Mississippi River after suffering damage in a battle with near Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
* 48 BC – Caesar's Civil War: Battle of Pharsalus – Julius Caesar decisively defeats Pompey at Pharsalus and Pompey flees to Egypt.
* 1862 – American Civil War: Battle of Cedar Mountain – At Cedar Mountain, Virginia, Confederate General Stonewall Jackson narrowly defeats Union forces under General John Pope.
* 1978 – 150 Palestinians in Beirut are killed in a terrorist attack during the second phase of the Lebanese Civil War.
Abner Doubleday ( June 26, 1819 – January 26, 1893 ) was a career United States Army officer and Union general in the American Civil War.
His father, Julius Mathison Turing ( 1873 – 1947 ), was a member of an old aristocratic family of Scottish descent who worked for the Indian Civil Service ( the ICS ).
Civil and form
This magnificent but greatly underestimated book, which bodies forth the very form and pressure of its time as no other comparable creation, has suffered severely from having been written about an historical event -- the Spanish Civil War -- that is still capable of fanning the smoldering fires of old political feuds.
Civil conciliation is a form of dispute resolution for small lawsuits, and provides a simpler and cheaper alternative to litigation.
The term English Civil War appears most commonly in the singular form, although historians often divide the conflict into two or three separate wars.
* 1861 – American Civil War: In Montgomery, Alabama, delegates from six break-away U. S. states meet and form the Confederate States of America.
In just over two minutes, Lincoln reiterated the principles of human equality espoused by the Declaration of Independence and proclaimed the Civil War as a struggle for the preservation of the Union sundered by the secession crisis, with " a new birth of freedom ," that would bring true equality to all of its citizens, ensuring that democracy would remain a viable form of government and creating a nation in which states ' rights were no longer dominant.
Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Rule 2 says " here is one form of action-the civil action ," which abolishes the legal / equity distinction.
Notably, civil liberties organizations such as the American Civil Liberties Union ( ACLU ) have stated that racial profiling is a form of discrimination, stating, " Discrimination based on race, ethnicity, religion, nationality or on any other particular identity undermines the basic human rights and freedoms to which every person is entitled.
Jean Bodin, partly in reaction to the chaos of the French wars of religion ; and Thomas Hobbes, partly in reaction to the English Civil War, both presented theories of sovereignty calling for strong central authority in the form of absolute monarchy.
Virginia was one of the 13 Colonies in the American Revolution and joined the Confederacy in the American Civil War, during which Richmond was made the Confederate capital and Virginia's northwestern counties separated to form the state of West Virginia.
With the onset of the Spanish Civil War, the form rapidly declined, and the last romantic zarzuelas to hold the stage were written in the 1950s.
* Civil unrest in northern Italy spawns the medieval musical form of Geisslerlieder, penitential songs sung by wandering bands of Flagellants .</ onlyinclude >
The claim for the women's vote appears to have been first made by Jeremy Bentham in 1817 when he published his Plan of Parliamentary Reform in the form of a Catechism and was taken up by William Thompson in 1825, when he published, with Anna Wheeler, An Appeal of One Half the Human Race, Women, Against the Pretensions of the Other Half, Men, to Retain Them in Political, and Thence in Civil and Domestic Slavery: In Reply to Mr. Mill's Celebrated Article on Government.
The basic version of the Civil Code in this form is nearly 3, 000 pages in length, whilst the " Méga " version is in both written form and, even more extensively, on CD-ROM.
The revenues of the Duchy form part of the Privy Purse, and are used for expenses not borne by the Civil List.
The origins of the state boundaries marked by the monument occurred during the American Civil War, when the United States Congress acted to form governments in the area to combat Confederate ambitions for the region.
During the American Civil War volunteers were recruited from the more affluent families of the County to form the 139th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
During the Russian Civil War, Cossack regions became centres for the Anti-Bolshevik White movement, a portion of whom would form the White emigration.
A letter in The Times ( London ), January 16, 1905, signed by Oswald Crawford, describes auction bridge as first played in 1904, while a book by " John Doe " ( F. Roe ), published in Alláhábád, India, in 1889, puts forward auction bridge as an invention of three members of the Indian Civil Service stationed at an isolated community, designed a three-handed form of bridge to compensate the lack of a fourth player.
* In the 1860s, American Civil War nurse Maureen Hellstrom used anise seeds as an early form of antiseptic.
Five-card stud is the earliest form of the card game stud poker, originating during the American Civil War, but is less commonly played today than many other more popular poker games.
After the American Civil War ( 1861 – 1865 ), William Mahone, a civil engineer and hero of the Battle of the Crater, was the driving force in the linkage of 3 railroads, including the V & T, across the southern tier of Virginia to form the Atlantic, Mississippi & Ohio Railroad ( AM & O ), a new line extending from Norfolk to Bristol, Virginia in 1870.
The Greek Civil War affected the island in the form of skirmishes and Communist guerilla attacks until 1950, almost a year after the main hostilities were over on the mainland.