[permalink] [id link]
* U. S. Department of State Background Note on Afghanistan
Some Related Sentences
U and .
The appointment of U Thant of Burma as the U.N.'s Acting Secretary General -- at this writing, the choice appears to be certain -- offers further proof that in politics it is more important to have no influential enemies than to have influential friends.
With the neutralists maintaining pressure for one of their own to succeed Mr. Hammarskjold, U Thant emerged as the only possible candidate unlikely to be waylaid by a veto.
U Thant of course, will hold office until the spring of 1963, when Mr. Hammarskjold's term would have come to an end.
If Af are the projections associated with the primary decomposition of T, then each Af is a polynomial in T, and accordingly if a linear operator U commutes with T then U commutes with each of the Af, i.e., each subspace Af is invariant under U.
In a neighborhood of Q the difference between these functions is also a single-valued, analytic function of U.
The restrained gyro-stabilized platform with reasonable response characteristics operates with an approximate equation of motion, neglecting transient effects, as follows: Af where U is a torque applied about the output axis of the controlling gyro.
Lincoln's assassination was the first assassination of a U. S. president and sent the nation into mourning.
Lincoln has been consistently ranked by scholars and the public as one of the three greatest U. S. presidents.
In 1846, Lincoln was elected to the U. S. House of Representatives, where he served one two-year term.
Lincoln also supported the Wilmot Proviso, which, if it had been adopted, would have banned slavery in any U. S. territory won from Mexico.
U and S
Douglas ' provision, which Lincoln opposed, specified settlers had the right to determine locally whether to allow slavery in new U. S. territory, rather than have such a decision restricted by the national Congress.
After the state Republican party convention nominated him for the U. S. Senate in 1858, Lincoln delivered his House Divided Speech, drawing on: " A house divided against itself cannot stand.
The stage was then set for the campaign for statewide election of the Illinois legislature which would, in turn, select Lincoln or Douglas as its U. S. senator.
Douglas said that Lincoln was defying the authority of the U. S. Supreme Court and the Dred Scott decision.
The U. S. Navy illegally intercepted a British merchant ship the Trent on the high seas and seized two Confederate envoys ; Britain protested vehemently while the U. S. cheered.
He argued before and during his election that the eventual extinction of slavery would result from preventing its expansion into new U. S. territory.
Anthropologists ' involvement with the U. S. government, in particular, has caused bitter controversy within the discipline.
The world's smallest known vertebrate, Paedophryne amauensis, sitting on a Dime ( United States coin ) | U. S. dime, 17. 91mm, for scale
The land went through several administrative changes before becoming an organized ( or incorporated ) territory on May 11, 1912, and the 49th state of the U. S. on January 3, 1959.
* Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, U. S. law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability
* Anti-Deficiency Act, U. S. law that prohibits the federal government from incurring debts not authorized by Congress
In the U. S. federal court system, criminal defendants must file a notice of appeal within 10 days of the entry of either the judgment or the order being appealed, or the right to appeal is forfeited.
U and Department
* Much of the material in this article comes from the CIA World Factbook 2000 and the 2003 U. S. Department of State website.
* Much of the material in these articles comes from the CIA World Factbook 2000 and the 2003 U. S. Department of State website.
At the outbreak of the Civil War, Johnston was the commander of the U. S. Army Department of the Pacific in California.
Title II applies to public transportation provided by public entities through regulations by the U. S. Department of Transportation.
She became a national figure in 1991 when she alleged that U. S. Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas had made harassing sexual statements when he was her supervisor at the U. S. Department of Education and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
In 1981, she became an attorney-adviser to Clarence Thomas who was then the Assistant Secretary of the U. S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
* 1949 – U. S. President Harry S. Truman signs the National Security Act Amendment, streamlining the defense agencies of the United States government, and replacing the Department of War with the United States Department of Defense.
* 1987 – The U. S. Department of Justice bars the Austrian President Kurt Waldheim from entering the United States, saying he had aided in the deportation and execution of thousands of Jews and others as a German Army officer during World War II.
* 1977 – U. S. President Jimmy Carter signs legislation creating the United States Department of Energy.
Abacá was first cultivated on a large scale in Sumatra in 1925 under the Dutch, who had observed its cultivation in the Philippines for cordage since the ninteenth century, followed up by plantings in Central America in 1929 sponsored by the U. S. Department of Agriculture.
A 50: 50 mixture of 2, 4, 5-T and 2, 4-D, it was manufactured for the U. S. Department of Defense primarily by Monsanto Corporation and Dow Chemical.
In 1943, the U. S. Department of the Army contracted the University of Chicago to study the effects of 2, 4-D and 2, 4, 5-T on cereal grains ( including rice ) and broadleaf crops.
* – both of Young's books were commissioned by the U. S. Department of Defense, Office of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense ( Installations and Environment )
* Agent Orange Office of Public Health and Environmental Hazards, U. S. Department of Veteran Affairs
" Comics ,” wrote Capp in 1970, “ can be a combination of the highest quality of art and text, and many of them are .” Capp would produce many giveaway educational comic books and public services pamphlets, spanning several decades, for the Red Cross, the Department of Civil Defense, the Department of the Navy, the U. S. Army, the Anti-Defamation League, the Department of Labor, Community Chest ( a forerunner of United Way ), and the Job Corps.
In 2007, U. S. Department of Defense ’ s Telemedicine and Advanced Technologies Research Center ( TATRC ) began to study the antimicrobial properties of copper alloys, including four brasses ( C87610, C69300, C26000, C46400 ) in a multi-site clinical hospital trial conducted at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center ( New York City ), the Medical University of South Carolina, and the Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center ( South Carolina ).
The U. S. Department of Defense investigation contract, which is ongoing, will also evaluate the effectiveness of copper alloy touch surfaces to prevent the transfer of microbes to patients and the transfer of microbes from patients to touch surfaces, as well as the potential efficacy of copper-alloy based components to improve indoor air quality.
* ATSDR Case Studies in Environmental Medicine: Beryllium Toxicity U. S. Department of Health and Human Services