[permalink] [id link]
Christine de Pizan ( also seen as de Pisan ) ( 1363 – c. 1430 ) was a Venetian-born late medieval author who challenged misogyny and stereotypes prevalent in the late medieval culture.
Some Related Sentences
Christine and de
* Christine Buci-Glucksmann, " L ’ art à l ’ époque virtuel ", in Frontières esthétiques de l ’ art, Arts 8, Paris: L ’ Harmattan, 2004
Simone de Beauvoir wrote in 1949 that Épître au Dieu d ' Amour was " the first time we see a woman take up her pen in defense of her sex " making Christine de Pizan perhaps the West's first feminist, or protofeminist as some scholars prefer to say.
The first English translation of Christine de Pizan ’ s The Treasure of the City of Ladies: or The Book of the Three Virtues is Sarah Lawson ’ s ( 1985 ).
* The standard biography about Christine de Pizan is Charity Cannon Willard ’ s Christine de Pisan: Her Life and Works ( 1984 ).
Willard ’ s biography also provides a comprehensive overview of the “ Querelle du Roman de la Rose .” Kevin Brownlee also discusses this debate in detail in his article Widowhood, Sexuality and Gender in Christine de Pisan ( in The Romanic Review, 1995 )
* For a more detailed account of Christine de Pizan ’ s rhetorical strategies refer to Jenny R. Redfern ’ s excerpt Christine de Pisan and The Treasure of the City of Ladies: A Medieval Rhetorician and Her Rhetoric ( in Reclaiming Rhetorica, ed.
* M. Bell Mirabella discusses Christine ’ s ability to refute the patriarchal discourse in her article Feminist Self-Fashioning: Christine de Pisan and The Treasure of the City of Ladies ( in The European Journal of Women ’ s Studies, 1999 ).
Vincent B. Leitch, 2001 ) for some commentary on Christine de Pizan ’ s life, literary works, rhetorical contributions and other relevant sources that one may find useful.
* Altmann, Barbara K., " Christine de Pizan as Maker of the Middle Ages ," in: Cahier Calin: Makers of the Middle Ages.
Christine and Pizan
* Dulac, Liliane, Anne Paupert, Christine Reno, and Bernard Ribémont, eds., Desireuse de plus avant enquerre ... Actes du VIe colloque international sur Christine de Pizan ( Paris juillet 2006 ): Volume en hommage à James Laidlaw ( Paris, Éditions Champion, 2008 ) ( Etudes Christinienne ).
Healing the Body Politic: The Political Thought of Christine de Pizan, Turnhout, Belgium: Brepols, 2005.
* Richards, Earl Jeffrey, ed., Reinterpreting Christine de Pizan, Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press, 1992.
* Angus J. Kennedy's " Christine de Pizan: A Bibliographical Guide and supplements ( London: Grant & Cutler, 1984, 1994, 2004 ).
Christine and also
There also were reports of a collection at the County Line Elementary School, 3505o Dequindre, which has been attended this year by four of the Kowalski children including Christine.
With Adelaide still alive and Christine possibly surviving, the marriage to Hedwig was also considered bigamous.
In 1981 Rankine and MacKenzie also released a version of " Kites " under the name " 39 Lyon Street " with Christine Beverage on lead vocals, the b-side track " A Girl Named Property " was credited to The Associates.
As Christine builds her city, she uses each famous woman as a building block for not only the walls and houses of the city, but also as building blocks for her defense of female rights.
As she helps Christine understand male slander, she also helps Christine to prepare the ground on which the city will be built.
Christine and Lady Rectitude also discuss the institution of marriage, addressing Christine ’ s questions regarding men ’ s claims about the ill qualities women bring to marriage.
They were also stablemates at Blue Horizon, and Fleetwood Mac had asked Christine to play piano as a session musician for Peter Green's songs on the band's second album, Mr. Wonderful.
The album, released in 1982, returned the band to the top of the US charts and also contained the top-5 hit " Hold Me ", co-written by Christine.
These ideas also spilled over into domestic kitchen architecture because of a growing trend that called for a professionalization of household work, started in the mid-19th century by Catharine Beecher and amplified by Christine Frederick's publications in the 1910s.
Longtime hostess Christine McGlade (" Moose ") had departed the previous year, as had Alasdair Gillis ( who had been promoted to co-host with Moose in 1985 before leaving towards the end of the 1986 season ); Lisa Ruddy (" Motormouth "), Moose's longtime sidekick on the show, was also gone, having left at the end of the 1985 season.
In any case, the show did not completely sever ties to its past, as many former cast members reappeared during the 1989 season in cameo roles, most notably in the " Age " episode, which was hosted by Vanessa Lindores and also featured cameos by Doug Ptolemy, Alasdair Gillis, Christine McGlade, and Kevin Kubusheskie ( who by that time had become a stage producer on the show ).
The character of Christine Chapel would also return, having become a doctor since the original series, in which she was a nurse.
In addition to Joe, Buck has three daughters who worked in broadcasting -- Julie Buck on KYKY 98. 1 in St. Louis ( she now works at KLOU-FM 103. 3, also in St. Louis ), Bonnie Buck, who currently works in television in Los Angeles, and Christine Buck, who started her career at KPLR-TV in St. Louis.
Prior to this, there was an Australian version of Second Chance that aired in 1977 on Network Ten hosted by Earle Bailey and Christine Broadway and also produced by Grundy.
The company is also reorganised internally, most notably with the arrival of former Culture Minister Christine Albanel as head of communications for the group.
Haynes wrote the script with Jon Raymond, and also served as an executive producer with Pamela Koffler, John Wells, Ilene S. Landress and Christine Vachon, along with HBO in association with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.
Christine de Pisan's biography, commissioned by Philip the Bold in 1404, is a source of most of the intimate details of the king's life of which we are aware, but also provides a moral example for his successors.
It has also provided big votes for independent conservative Third Party candidates opposing liberal Republicans, particularly in 1997, when 13 % of county voters backed two conservative independent candidates against incumbent Governor Christine Todd Whitman.