[permalink] [id link]
Flinders Petrie was also responsible for mentoring and training a whole generation of Egyptologists, including Howard Carter.
Some Related Sentences
Flinders and Petrie
This hypothesis of the contents of the Mouseion, originally suggested by Nietzsche ( Rheinisches Museum 25 ( 1870 ) & 28 ( 1873 )), appears to have been confirmed by three papyrus finds – one 3rd century BC ( Flinders Petrie Papyri, ed.
The first precision measurements of the pyramid were made by Egyptologist Sir Flinders Petrie in 1880 – 82 and published as The Pyramids and Temples of Gizeh.
En route back to London in 1932 Gardner stopped off in Egypt and, armed with a letter of introduction, joined Sir Flinders Petrie who was excavating the site of Tall al-Ajjul in Palestine.
In 1892 he worked under the tutelage of Flinders Petrie for one season at Amarna, the capital founded by the pharaoh Akhenaten.
Her work in Egyptology took place largely alongside her mentor and friend, the archaeologist Sir Flinders Petrie, whom she worked alongside at University College London.
Margaret Murray accompanied the renowned Egyptologist Sir William Flinders Petrie, on several archaeological excavations in Egypt and Palestine during the late 1890s.
Like most female academics of her generation, Murray had received no formal training, instead being taught Egyptology by Flinders Petrie.
Another Egyptian sling was excavated in El-Lahun in Al Fayyum Egypt in 1914 by William Matthew Flinders Petrie.
In the field of Egyptology, William Flinders Petrie pioneered sequence dating to penetrate pre-dynastic Neolithic times, using groups of contemporary artefacts deposited together at a single time in graves and working backwards methodically from the earliest historical phases of Egypt.
Most Egyptologists today side with Sir Flinders Petrie that Egyptian religion was strictly polytheistic, in which Thoth would be a separate god.
Flinders Petrie suggested that the odem, the first stone on the High Priest's breastplate, was a red jasper, whilst tarshish, the tenth stone, may have been a yellow jasper.
In 1880, Flinders Petrie, another British Egyptologist, revolutionized the field of archaeology through controlled and scientifically recorded excavations.
Remains attributed to this pharaoh were indeed found during the excavations in this area conducted by Flinders Petrie, who confirmed the connection.
Siamun is cited as having built a temple dedicated to Amun, the remains of which were found by Flinders Petrie in the early 20th century, in the south of the temple of Ptah complex.
The first surveys and excavations of the 19th century, and the extensive work of Flinders Petrie, have been able to show a little of the ancient capital's former glory.
This temple was discovered in the early 20th century by Flinders Petrie, who identified a depiction of the Greek god Proteus cited by Herodotus.
The major excavations of the British Egyptologist Sir William Matthew Flinders Petrie, conducted from 1907 to 1912, uncovered the majority of the ruins as seen today.
Flinders and was
In the early 1920s the Busselton to Margaret River Railway was built and in 1925 the Margaret River to Flinders Bay line opened.
Tasmania was not known to be an island until Matthew Flinders and George Bass circumnavigated it in the Norfolk in 1798-99.
A full description of Murray ’ s and Flinders ’ discoveries, together with King ’ s thoughts on settlement, but not Grimes ’ report, reached England just as HMS Calcutta was being prepared to send a shipload of convicts to Sydney.
One of the large exporters in the late nineteenth century was M. C. Davies who had mills in the Margaret River to Augusta region of the south west, and ports at Hamelin Bay and Flinders Bay.
Discovered by Edward John Eyre in 1839, for the following twenty years it was believed that Lake Torrens was an enormous horseshoe-shaped saltpan encircling the northern Flinders Ranges and blocking any path to the interior.
Matthew Flinders was the first European to arrive in the region, whilst circumnavigating the Australian continent on HMS Investigator in 1802.
A stone obelisk monument was erected there in 1844 by Sir John Franklin in tribute to Flinders ' achievements.
Numerous names in the area are associated with this event, including Cape Catastrophe, numerous islands named after the deceased and Memory Cove, where a tablet was erected by Flinders in their memory.
Subsequent to the survey by Flinders, the land was settled by a small number or Europeans, mainly along Cape Donington ( named after the birthplace of Flinders ), where the first grain crop was sewn in 1875.
But now Manalargenna would go to heaven, he told the Aboriginal community on Flinders Island, which was much better than returning to his homeland.
He and his wife Mary-Anne went with Robinson when he was appointed Protector of Aborigines at Port Phillip, returning to Flinders Island in 1842.
The first European to discover the area was the French Admiral Bruni D ' Entrecasteaux in 1792 and he named it Cap Arride ; Matthew Flinders anglicized the name in 1892 and the park took its name from this feature.