[permalink] [id link]
In 1942, commenting on journalist E. H. Carr's pro-Soviet views, Orwell stated: " all the appeasers, e. g. Professor E. H. Carr, have switched their allegiance from Hitler to Stalin.
Some Related Sentences
1942 and on
" Aside from Roger Ackroyd, the most critically acclaimed Poirot novels appeared from 1932 to 1942, including such acknowledged classics as Murder on the Orient Express, The ABC Murders ( 1935 ), Cards on the Table ( 1936 ), and Death on the Nile ( 1937 ).
A medal awarded to women who served in the Women Army Auxiliary Corps from 10 July 1942 to 31 August 1943, and to the Women Army Corps from 1 September 1943 to 2 September 1945 featured Athena on the front.
* 1942 – World War II: the Battle of Guadalcanal begins – United States Marines initiate the first American offensive of the war with landings on Guadalcanal and Tulagi in the Solomon Islands.
* 1942 – World War II: The two-person crew of the U. S. naval blimp L-8 disappears without a trace on a routine anti-submarine patrol over the Pacific Ocean.
* 1942 – World War II: Operation Jubilee – the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division leads an amphibious assault by allied forces on Dieppe, Seine-Maritime, France and fails, many Canadians are killed or captured.
* 1942 – World War II: The Battle of Bataan / Bataan Death March – United States forces surrender on the Bataan Peninsula.
* 1942 – World War II: Baedeker Blitz – German bombers hit Exeter, Bath and York in retaliation for the British raid on Lübeck.
* 1942 – World War II: The Imperial Japanese Navy launches a carrier-based air attack on Colombo, Ceylon during the Indian Ocean Raid.
* 1942 – World War II: Japanese forces begin an assault on the United States and Filipino troops on the Bataan Peninsula.
* 1942 – World War II: The most famous ( and first international ) Aggie Muster is held on the Philippine island of Corregidor, by Brigadier General George F. Moore ( with 25 fellow Texas A & M graduates who are under his command ), while 1. 8 million pounds of shells pounded the island over a 5 hour attack.
During a 1935 – 1942 colonization attempt, the island was most likely on Hawaii time, which was then 10. 5 hours behind UTC .< ref > Since it is uninhabited the island's time zone is unspecified, but it lies within a nautical time zone 12 hours behind UTC.
* Brazil in World War II ( 1942 – 1945 ): Brazil declared war on Nazi Germany in August 1942 and in 1944 sent 25, 334 soldiers to fight in Italy.
( Churchill sent a telegram to Alexander on 23 September 1942 which began, " We are in your hands and of course a victorious battle makes amends for much delay.
FBI pressure on Chaplin grew after his 1942 campaign for a second European front in the war and reached a critical level in the late 1940s, when Congressional figures threatened to call him as a witness in hearings.
In September 1942, Japanese daily rations on New Guinea consisted of 800 grams of rice and tinned meat.
The last mounted saber charge by Italian cavalry occurred on August 24, 1942 at Isbuscenski ( Russia ), when a squadron of the " Savoia Cavalry Regiment " regiment charged the " 812th Siberian Infantry Regiment ".
The final Italian cavalry action occurred on October 17, 1942 in Pola ( Croatia ) by a squadron of " Alexandria Cavalry Regiment " against a large group of Yugoslav partisans.
1942 and journalist
Smith also had a daughter, Catherine H. Smith of Los Angeles, by his March 1942 marriage to the former Benedicte " Bennie " Traberg ( September 25, 1921 — October 29, 2008 ), then a 20-year-old journalist originally from Denmark, whom Smith called the most impressive person he had ever known " far above presidents and generals ".
Roger Joseph Ebert (; born June 18, 1942 ) is an American journalist, film critic and screenwriter, who has been described by Forbes as " the most powerful pundit in America ".
Hrabal ’ s uncle was Bohuslav Kilián ( 1892 – 1942 ), a lawyer, journalist and publisher of the cultural magazines Salon and Měsíc ( the latter had a German version, Der Monat, that was distributed throughout Europe, but not in Nazi Germany ).
* Anneli Ute Gabanyi ( born 1942 ), Romanian-born German political scientist, literary critic, journalist, and philologist
Stefan Zweig (; November 28, 1881 – February 22, 1942 ) was an Austrian novelist, playwright, journalist and biographer.
He is the son of journalist Mazhar Ali Khan and activist mother Tahira Mazhar Ali Khan ( daughter of Sir Sikandar Hyat Khan who led the Unionist Muslim League and was later Prime Minister of the Punjab from 1937 – 1942 ).
Between 1942 and 1945, Dos Passos worked as a journalist and war correspondent covering World War II.
Charles Horman ( May 15, 1942 – September 19, 1973 ) was an American journalist and was one of the victims of the 1973 Chilean coup d ' état led by General Augusto Pinochet, that deposed the socialist president, Salvador Allende, after bombing the Chilean presidential palace on September 11, 1973.
Helen Garner ( born 7 November 1942 ) is an Australian novelist, short-story writer, screenwriter and journalist.
Kitty Kelley ( born April 4, 1942 ) is an American journalist and author of several best-selling unauthorized biographies of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Elizabeth Taylor, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Reagan, the British Royal Family, the Bush family, and Oprah Winfrey.
In the last week of December 1942, led by journalist Dorothy Thompson, fifty leading German-Americans including Babe Ruth signed a " Christmas Declaration by men and women of German ancestry " condemning Nazism, which appeared in ten major American daily newspapers.