[permalink] [id link]
Mrs. Child, who had once apologized for sending editor Palfrey a book on slavery, now confided that she had helped one of Henry Palfrey's slaves escape to Canada some years before, but asked him not to advertise the fact in Louisiana.
from Brown Corpus
Some Related Sentences
Child and who
Berthe Morisot, Child among Staked Roses ( common mistranslation of Child among Hollyhocks ), 1881, Wallraf-Richartz Museum, Cologne It was Morisot who persuaded Manet to attempt plein air painting, which she had been practicing since having been introduced to it by Corot.
Contemporaneously with Child came the Reverend Sabine Baring-Gould, and later and more significantly Cecil Sharp who worked in the early 20th century to preserve a great body of English rural traditional song, music and dance, under the aegis of what became and remains the English Folk Dance and Song Society ( EFDSS ).
The authors noted most for establishing the English mercantilist system include Gerard de Malynes and Thomas Mun, who first articulated the Elizabethan System, which in turn was then developed further by Josiah Child.
They believe Mun and Misselden were not making this mistake in the 1620s, and point to their followers Josiah Child and Charles Davenant, who, in 1699, wrote: " Gold and Silver are indeed the Measure of Trade, but that the Spring and Original of it, in all nations is the Natural or Artificial Product of the Country ; that is to say, what this Land or what this Labour and Industry Produces.
* A young female penguin, variously identified as " Small Child " or " Little Girl ," who is apparently Pokey's sister
Wild Child mutated out of control, Mystique hunted down Sabretooth ( who had kidnapped young Tyler Trevor Chase ), and Forge wanted nothing to do with X-Factor.
* July 5 – The U. S. Congress passes the Child Protection and Obscenity Enforcement Act, requiring that producers of pornography keep records of all models who are filmed or photographed, and that all models be at least 18 years of age.
The Santorum Amendment was a failed proposed amendment to the 2001 education funding bill ( which became known as the No Child Left Behind Act ), proposed by Republican Rick Santorum ( who was at that time the United States Senator for Pennsylvania ), which promoted the teaching of intelligent design while questioning the academic standing of evolution in U. S. public schools.
* Payipwāt ( or Piapot: " who Knows the Secrets of the Sioux "), also known as " Hole in the Sioux " or Kisikawasan-‘ Flash in the Sky ’, Chief of the Cree-Assiniboine or the Young Dogs with great influence on neighboring Assiniboine, Downstream People, southern groups of the Upstream People and Saulteaux ( Plains Ojibwa ), born 1816, kidnapped as a child by the Sioux, he was freed about 1830 by Plains Cree, significant Shaman, most influential chief of the feared Young Dogs, convinced the Plains Cree to expand west in the Cypress Hills, the last refugee for bison groups, therefore disputed border area between Sioux, Assiniboine, Siksika Kainai and Cree, refused to participate in the raid on a Kainai camp near the present Lethbridge, Alberta, then the Young Dogs and their allies were content with the eastern Cypress Hills to the Milk River, Montana, does not participate at the negotiations on the Treaty 4 of 1874, he and Cheekuk, the most important chief of the Plains Ojibwa in the Qu ' Appelle area, signed on 9 September 1875 the treaty only as preliminary contract, tried with the chiefs of the River Cree Minahikosis (" Little Pine ") and Mistahi-maskwa (" Big Bear ") to erect a kind of Indian Territory for all the Plains Cree, Plains Ojibwa and Assiniboine-as Ottawa refused, he asked 1879-80 along with Kiwisünce ( cowessess-' Little Child ') and the Assiniboine for adjacent reserves in the Cypress Hills, Payipwāt settled in a reserve about 37 miles northeast of Fort Walsh, Minahikosis (" Little Pine ") and Papewes (‘ Lucky Man ’) asked successfully for reserves near the Assiniboine or Payipwāt-this allowed the Cree and Assiniboine to preserve their autonomy-because they went 1881 in Montana on bison hunting, stole Absarokee horses and alleged cattle killed, arrested the U. S. Army the Cree-Assiniboine group, disarmed and escorted them back to Canada-now unarmed, denied rations until the Cree and Assiniboine gave up their claims to the Cypress Hills and went north-in the following years the reserves changed several times and the tribes were trying repeated until to the Northwest Rebellion in 1885 to build an Indian Territory, Payipwāt remained under heavy guard, until his death he was a great spiritual leader, therefore Ottawa deposed Payipwāt on 15 April 1902 as chief, died in April 1908 on Piapot Reserve, Saskatchewan )
Since I received the first accusation twenty-two years after Baby and Child Care was originally published -- and since those who write about how harmful my book is invariably assure me they've never used it -- I think it's clear that the hostility is to my politics rather than my pediatric advice.
# Child Custody-physical custody ( where is the child's main residence ) and legal custody ( who makes decisions about the child ) are the two elements of custody.
# Child Visitation-the parent who does not have physical custody has either: a ) reasonable rights of visitation, b ) a specified visitation schedule, or c ) is limited to supervised visitation.
* The 2011 novel " The Stranger's Child " by Booker prize winning British novelist Alan Hollinghurst features fictional War Poet Cecil Valance who shares characteristics of, though is not as talented as, Brooke.
The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, Article 38, ( 1989 ) proclaimed: " State parties shall take all feasible measures to ensure that persons who have not attained the age of 15 years do not take a direct part in hostilities.
Under the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict, which was adopted and signed in 2002, National armed forces can accept volunteers into their armed forces below the age of 18, but " States Parties shall take all feasible measures to ensure that members of their armed forces who have not attained the age of 18 years do not take a direct part in hostilities ".
International law does not prohibit the prosecution of children who commit war crimes, but the article 37 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child does limit the punishment that a child can receive including " Neither capital punishment nor life imprisonment without possibility of release shall be imposed for offences committed by persons below eighteen years of age.
Child took the threat to take out Tam Lin's eyes as a common folklore precaution against mortals who could see fairies, in the tales of fairy ointment.
There is also Witch Child and Warlock, the daughter and son, respectively, of the Wicked Witch of the West, who Magica sometimes is tasked to look after.
In the same year as the treaty with the Vikings, Louis the Child, the King of Germany, died and the nobles of Lotharingia, who had been loyal to him, under the leadership of Reginar Longneck, declared Charles their new king, breaking from Germans who had elected Conrad of Franconia king.
Much of the credit for Paramount's success was given to chairman Frank Mancuso, who moved The Voyage Homes release from Christmas to Thanksgiving after research showed that the film might draw filmgoers away from The Golden Child.
Child and had
He married his first wife, Anne Child, in about 1677 in Ecton and emigrated with her to Boston in 1683 ; they had three children before emigrating, and four after.
Exorcist author / screenwriter William Peter Blatty said in the book Former Child Stars: The Story of America's Least Wanted that he had " no such recollection " of Plato being offered the role.
Seventy-one of the paintings previously taken by the Nazis had found their way back to Norway through purchase by collectors ( the other eleven were never recovered ), including The Scream and The Sick Child, and they too were hidden from the Nazis.
Three months later, Josiah Child and his deputy had an audience with James II, and as per the ensuing discussions, a Charter was issued by the king on December 30, 1687 which established the Corporation of Madras.
Child labour had existed before the Industrial Revolution, but with the increase in population and education it became more visible.
According to a study by Alternatives to Combat Child Labour Through Education and Sustainable Services in the Middle East and North Africa Region ( ACCESS-MENA ) 30 % of school children living in border villages of Yemen had been smuggled into Saudi Arabia.
The Italian feature film Cabiria ( 1914 ), directed by Giovanni Pastrone, was the first popular film to use dolly shots, which in fact were originally called " Cabiria movements " by contemporary filmmakers influenced by the film ; however, some smaller American and English films had used the technique prior to Cabiria, as well as Yevgeni Bauer's The Child of the Big City, released a month prior to Cabiria.
In " The Empty Child " ( 2005 ), the Ninth Doctor claimed that he has had " 900 years of phone box travel ", while " The Doctor's Wife " says they've been travelling together for only 700 years.
From " An Unearthly Child " ( 1963 ) to " The War Machines " ( 1966 ), the TARDIS also had a St. John Ambulance badge on the main doors, as did real police boxes ; this has been reinstated and the window frame colour has returned to white for Matt Smith's first season as the Doctor, shown in 2010.
The bishop of Trent, Johannes Hinderbach, had Simonino canonized and published the first book printed in Trent, " Story of a Christian Child Murdered at Trent ," embellished with 12 woodcuts.
Prior to the decision of the House of Lords in Re B ( A Child ) UKHL 35 http :// www. publications. parliament. uk / pa / ld200708 / ldjudgmt / jd080611 / child-1. htm there had been some confusion-even at the Court of Appeal-as to whether there was some intermediate standard, described as the ' heightened standard '.
In " Much Apu About Nothing " ( 1996 ), Moe is depicted taking his United States citizenship test ; previously, " Bart's Inner Child " ( 1995 ) had depicted Moe's own inner child chastising him for abandoning his native Italian accent.
A report published by Coalition to Stop the Use of Child Soldiers in 2004 estimated that since 1991, 200, 000 children carried arms or had been recruited in the country's militias.
The five fleurs-de-lis each had the enameled image of a saint on the central upright petal ( the front fleur-de-lis had an image of the Virgin and Child, while two of the other fleurs-de-lis had images of St George and the dragon ) as well as precious stones on the two curved side petals, while the five crosses and the arches were ornamented only with precious stones.
Child and once
After the East Frankish Carolingians became extinct with the death of Louis the Child in 911, Lotharingia once again attached itself to West Francia, but was conquered by the German king Henry the Fowler in 925.
Apam napat ( Born of the Waters ): Savitr is at least once called “ apam napat ” ( Child of Waters ), an epithet otherwise exclusively belonging to Agni.
Seeing it as a breach of the agreement that barred each party from public disparagement, Roberson and Luckett once again filed a lawsuit against Destiny's Child and Sony Music, shortly following the release of This Is the Remix.
Wheeler was still incapacitated in July when the Battle of San Juan Hill began but once he heard the sound of guns, the " War Child " returned to the front despite his illness.
From c. 1430 is the panel with Madonna and Child, in the Accademia Carrara, once attributed to Gentile da Fabriano.
During his second period in this office he clashed with the Church once again over the implementation of the remaining aspects of the ' Mother and Child Scheme '.
On March 22, 2007, U. S. District Judge Lowell A. Reed, Jr. once again struck down the Child Online Protection Act, finding the law facially in violation of the First and Fifth Amendments of the United States Constitution.
* Brainiac next appeared in The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians episode called " Brain Child " once again voiced by Stanley Ralph Ross.
The Bandage People, George and Marion, who were once two workers for the Builders but managed to escape ; and the Inner Child, a manifestation of the ghosts ' purity and innocence.
In the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna is a St Justina ( once ascribed to Pordenone ); in the Staedel Museum, Frankfort, the Madonna enthroned between Sts Anthony and Sebastian ; in the Berlin Museum, a colossal Adoration of the Shepherds, and a large votive picture ( one of the master's best ) of the " Madonna and Child ," with infant angels and other figures above the clouds, and below, amid a rich landscape, two priests ; in the National Gallery, London, St Bernardin and other saints and two impressive portraits.
Chef Julia Child reportedly once remarked that Scharffen Berger was the best chocolate she had tasted in the United States.
Others have claimed to see Chief Buffalo Child Long Lance, a Hollywood actor and writer, who once lived in the house and committed suicide there.
Stan Terlecki once again led the Spirit in goals ( 65 ) and points ( 105 ), and forward Paul Child finished in the top 25 in points ( 68 ).
Wild Child appeared once more in conflict with Wolverine aiding Omega Red and attempting to kill Logan.