[permalink] [id link]
NOFS opens to the public one weekend annually, in the autumn.
Some Related Sentences
NOFS and .
Today, the observatory's primary observational work is done at the U. S. Navy's higher elevation United States Naval Observatory, Flagstaff Station ( NOFS ) near Flagstaff, Arizona.
Those operations commenced in 1955, and within a decade, the Navy's largest telescope, the 61-inch " Kaj Strand Astrometric Reflector " was built, seeing light at NOFS in 1964.
USNO continues to maintain its dark-sky observatory, NOFS, near Flagstaff, Arizona, which also now oversees the Navy Precision Optical Interferometer.
The Navy Precision Optical Interferometer ( NPOI ) is a major astronomical interferometer ( world's largest baselines ), operated by the Naval Observatory Flagstaff Station ( NOFS ) in collaboration with the Naval Research Laboratory ( NRL ) and Lowell Observatory.
In 2009 NOFS began final plans for NPOI to incorporate four aperture optical-infrared telescopes into the array, which were accepted by the Navy in 2010, and assigned to the Naval Observatory Flagstaff Station.
NOFS operates and leads the science for the Navy Precision Optical Interferometer, as noted, in collaboration with Lowell Observatory and the Naval Research Laboratory at Anderson Mesa.
NOFS funds all principle operations, and from this contracts Lowell Observatory to maintain the Anderson Mesa facility and make the observations for NOFS to conduct the primary astrometry.
The OAP commissioned the chief scientist and director of the NPOI to effect the science and operations for the Panel ; this manager is a senior member of the NOFS staff and reports to the NOFS Director.
NPOI is a successful example of the venerable Michelson Interferometer design, with the principle science managed by NOFS.
Lowell Observatory and NRL join in the scientific efforts through their fractions of time to use the interferometer ; science time is 85 % Navy ( NOFS and NRL ); and 15 % Lowell.
NOFS has used NPOI to conduct a wide and diverse series of scientific studies, beyond just the study of absolute astrometric positions of stars ,; additional NOFS science at NPOI includes the study of binary stars, Be Stars, Oblate stars, rapidly rotating stars, those with starspots, and the imaging of stellar disks ( the first in history ) and flare stars.
In 2007 – 2008, NRL with NOFS used NPOI to obtain first-ever closure phase image precursors of satellites orbiting in geostationary orbit.
Installation plans for the 1. 8m Array were developed in 2010-2012 by the scientific and engineering staffs at NOFS, based on the funded science performed by NOFS and NRL.
In 2012 NOFS, with support from USNO, CNMOC and the Chief of Naval Operations ' Oceanographer staff, began developing funding and programming plans in order to install the array.
opens and public
* Since Big Brother 2, the UK series always opens with a twist which have included the public being able to choose the final housemate out of three possibilities ( Big Brother 2 ), the public voting for a housemate to leave during the first week and then the housemates choosing between the two housemates with the least number of votes ( Big Brother 3 ), First Night Nominations ( Big Brother 4 ), Suitcase Nominations ( Big Brother 5 ), Unlucky Housemate 13 ( Big Brother 6 ), Big Brother Hood ( Big Brother 7 ), an all-female House and the first inclusion of twins as contestants ( Big Brother 8 ), the first couple to enter as housemates and set a secret task to hide their real relationship ( Big Brother 9 ), all " housemates " really being " non-housemates " who had to earn their housemate status ( Big Brother 10 ), a mole entering the House with an " Impossible Task " ( Big Brother 11 ), Jackie Stallone entering a house containing her son's ex-wife ( Celebrity Big Brother 3 ), the entrance of a non-celebrity in a celebrity edition ( Celebrity Big Brother 4 ) and Jade Goody's family announced to be visiting.
* Left hand hinge ( LHH ): Standing outside ( or on the less secure side, or on the public side of the door ), the hinges are on the left and the door opens in ( away from you ).
* 1852 – The Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg, Russia, one of the largest and oldest museums in the world, opens to the public.
* 1982 – Priscilla Presley opens Graceland to the public ; the bathroom where Elvis Presley died five years earlier is kept off-limits.
* 1803 – The Surrey Iron Railway, arguably the world's first public railway, opens in south London, England, Great Britain.
* 2001 – Downtown Disney opens to the public as part of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California.
* 2001 – The Milwaukee Art Museum addition, the first Santiago Calatrava-designed structure in the United States, opens to the public.
* 1974 – Watergate Scandal: The United States House of Representatives Judiciary Committee opens formal and public impeachment hearings against President Richard Nixon.
* 1930 – The Chrysler Building in New York City, the tallest man-made structure at the time, opens to the public.
* 1876 – Texas A & M University opens as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, becoming the first public institution of higher education in Texas.
* January 12-Downtown Disney opens to the public as part of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California.
* June 26 – The CN Tower is built in Toronto ; the tallest free-standing land structure opens to the public.
opens and one
Almost every official who reflects on it thinks this movement of Americans to canvas dwellings opens one of the most promising of all outdoor markets.
This opens the way for virtual pair production or annihilation in which a one particle quantum state may fluctuate into a two particle state and back.
It also opens the way for neutral particle mixing through processes such as the one pictured here, which is a complicated example of mass renormalization.
* 1843 – Tivoli Gardens, one of the oldest still intact amusement parks in the world, opens in Copenhagen, Denmark.
It is usual that the head of state, particularly in parliamentary systems as part of the symbolic role, is the one who opens the annual sessions of the legislature, e. g. the annual State Opening of Parliament with the Speech from the Throne in Britain.
* 1989 – Cleveland School massacre: Patrick Purdy opens fire with an assault rifle at the Cleveland Elementary School playground in Stockton, California, killing five children and wounding 29 others and one teacher before taking his own life.
On each revolution, a cam opens the contact breaker one or more times, interrupting the current, which causes the electromagnetic field in the primary coil to collapse.
* 1904 – The first underground New York City Subway line opens ; the system becomes the biggest in United States, and one of the biggest in world.
For example, eight players each ante $ 1, one player opens for $ 2, and gets two callers, making the pot total $ 14.
He takes the slip to the shopkeeper, who opens the drawer marked ' apples ', then he looks up the word ' red ' in a table and finds a colour sample opposite it ; then he says the series of cardinal numbers — I assume that he knows them by heart — up to the word ' five ' and for each number he takes an apple of the same colour as the sample out of the drawer .— It is in this and similar ways that one operates with words —" But how does he know where and how he is to look up the word ' red ' and what he is to do with the word ' five '?
In an interactive Smalltalk system the default implementation of is one that opens an error window ( a Notifier ) reporting the error to the user.
Total internal reflection can be observed while swimming, when one opens one's eyes just under the water's surface.
" The idea behind this strategy is that it opens up space for the feature to cut, and at the same time it allows handlers to focus all of their attention on only one cutter.
One end, the cervix, opens into the vagina, while the other is connected to one or both fallopian tubes, depending on the species.
Act II opens with Vladimir singing a recursive round about a dog, which could illustrate the cyclical nature of the play's universe, and also point toward the play's debt to the carnivalesque, music hall traditions, and vaudeville comedy ( this is only one of a number of canine references and allusions in the play ).
* March 13 – Dunblane massacre: Unemployed former shopkeeper Thomas Hamilton walks into the Dunblane Primary School in Scotland and opens fire, killing 16 infant school pupils and one teacher before fatally shooting himself.
* September 9 – Fashion Island, one of California's first outdoor shopping malls, opens in Newport Beach.
** Man of La Mancha opens in a Greenwich Village theatre in New York and eventually becomes one of the greatest musical hits of all time, winning a Tony Award for its star, Richard Kiley.
** Space Mountain ( Magic Kingdom ) opens at Walt Disney World and to this day remains one of the parks most popular attractions.
* August 15 – Tivoli Gardens, one of the oldest still intact amusement parks in the world, opens in Copenhagen, Denmark.
They comprise a pair of branching tufts, each of which opens to the exterior on one side of the anus.