[permalink] [id link]
Our understanding of the solar system has taught us to replace our former elaborate rituals with the appropriate action which, in this case, amounts to doing nothing.
from Brown Corpus
Some Related Sentences
Our and understanding
Our understanding of what is happening sometimes lacks similarity of structure with what is actually happening.
Our understanding of the Universe back to very early times suggests that there is a past horizon, though in practice our view is also limited by the opacity of the Universe at early times.
Our understanding of the phenomenal world is inevitably “ colored ” by the imperfections, or restrictions, of the knowing apparatus, and this is what he set out to describe in the first part of the 1st Critique.
Our understanding of the world is shaped by social facts ; for example the notion of time is defined by being measured through a calendar, which in turn was created to allow us to keep track of our social gatherings and rituals ; those in turn on their most basic level originated from religion.
Our understanding of herbivory in geological time comes from three sources: fossilized plants, which may preserve evidence of defence ( such as spines ), or herbivory-related damage ; the observation of plant debris in fossilised animal faeces ; and the construction of herbivore mouthparts.
Our understanding of how reactions proceed at the atomic level in the solid state was advanced considerably by Carl Wagner's work on oxidation rate theory, counter diffusion of ions, and defect chemistry.
A U. S. official said that " Our understanding is that the threat against President Karzai was real, was credible, but it was only in the early stages of planning.
* Our common-sense understanding of belief is correct-Sometimes called the " mental sentence theory ", in this conception, beliefs exist as coherent entities and the way we talk about them in everyday life is a valid basis for scientific endeavour.
* Our common-sense understanding of belief may not be entirely correct, but it is close enough to make some useful predictions-This view argues that we will eventually reject the idea of belief as we use it now, but that there may be a correlation between what we take to be a belief when someone says " I believe that snow is white " and how a future theory of psychology will explain this behaviour.
* Our common-sense understanding of belief is entirely wrong and will be completely superseded by a radically different theory that will have no use for the concept of belief as we know it-Known as eliminativism, this view, ( most notably proposed by Paul and Patricia Churchland ), argues that the concept of belief is like obsolete theories of times past such as the four humours theory of medicine, or the phlogiston theory of combustion.
* Our common-sense understanding of belief is entirely wrong ; however, treating people, animals, and even computers as if they had beliefs is often a successful strategy-The major proponents of this view, Daniel Dennett and Lynne Rudder Baker, are both eliminativists in that they believe (?
Our understanding of the extent of these aquifers and how much water can be withdrawn from them depends critically on our knowledge of the rocks that hold them ( the reservoir ).
Our modern scientific understanding involves the mathematicized understanding of the world represented by modern physics.
Our understanding of sentences about Odysseus consists then in our " playing along " ( see Gareth Evans, Saul Kripke ).
Our understanding of hemodynamics depends on measuring the blood flow at different points in the circulation.
Rebbe Nachman's magnum opus is the two-volume Likutei Moharan ( Collected of Our Teacher and Rabbi, Nachman ), a collection of 411 lessons displaying in-depth familiarity and understanding of the many overt and esoteric concepts embedded in Tanakh, Talmud, Midrash, Zohar and Kabbalah.
Our and solar
The Sisterhood of Karn also state " Our senses reach beyond the five planets ", intimating Gallifrey's solar system comprises five worlds.
Our own Milky Way galaxy, where our solar system belongs, is in many ways the best studied galaxy, although important parts of it are obscured from view in visible wavelengths by regions of cosmic dust.
Our space weather is a consequence of the behavior of the sun, the nature of Earth's magnetic field, and our location in the solar system.
Our own world is part of this series, but interestingly our own universe is revealed to be much smaller than it appears, ending at the edge of the solar system.
Our planet and solar system, however, don't look substantially colonized by advanced competitive life from the stars, and neither does anything else we see.
Our and system
* In the mid 19 < sup > th </ sup > century, Alfred B. Taylor concluded that " Our octonary 8 radix is, therefore, beyond all comparison the " best possible one " for an arithmetical system.
He says, " Our ordinary conceptual system, in terms of which we both think and act, is fundamentally metaphorical in nature.
Our clergy hate her voluntary system – our Tories hate her democrats — our Whigs hate her parvenus – our Radicals hate her litigiousness, her insolence, and her ambition.
Our women decided any and all issues involving territory, including where a community was to be built and how land was to be used .... In our political system, we mandated full equality.
" Oberth criticized the German system of education, saying " Our educational system is like an automobile which has strong rear lights, brightly illuminating the past.
Our Lady of the Hills Catholic High School and Notre Dame Catholic School are also located in Kerrville, serving as the primary alternative to the public school system.
The latter is a preK-12 system consisting of St. John the Baptist Primary School, Our Lady of Peace Intermediate School, Columbus Catholic Middle School, and Columbus Catholic High School.
Our own Jewish educational system must serve to prepare the youth to be upright Jews, secure in their faith, who will draw the strength to face the onerous demands which life will make on them from conscious solidarity with the Jewish community, from work for the Jewish present and faith in the Jewish future.
Body Worlds 2 & The Brain – Our Three Pound Gem ( concerning the brain and nervous system ) opened in 2005 at the California Science Center in Los Angeles.
As George Lakoff said: " Our ordinary conceptual system, in terms of which we both think and act, is fundamentally metaphorical in nature.
Smith went against the party line on the basis that although the country's electoral system had never before explicitly discriminated by colour, the proposal to grant 15 out of the 65 parliamentary seats to Rhodesian blacks was in direct contrast with the principles of the UFP ; he said: " Our policy in the past has always been that we would have a government, in Rhodesia, based on merit and that people wouldn't worry whether you were black or whether you were white.
During this period, Rabbani argued " Our concern is the establishment of an Islamic system and the elimination of unrest and cruelty from our country.
In a speech given in front of the American Bar Association, Justice Burger lamented the state of the justice system in 1984, " Our system is too costly, too painful, too destructive, too inefficient for a truly civilized people.
His fifth book, In School: Our Kids, Our Teachers, Our Classrooms ( 1995 ), written with Roy MacGregor, was about Canada ’ s education system.