Help


[permalink] [id link]
+
Page "Glastonbury" ¶ 66
from Wikipedia
Edit
Promote Demote Fragment Fix

Some Related Sentences

Abbey and Church
A monument to Phillip in Bath Abbey Church was unveiled in 1937.
The building of the Norman Abbey Church ( now the Cathedral and Abbey Church of St Alban ) was started in 1077 by Paul de Caen, the 14th Abbot, and completed in 1089.
things, to the construction of a large wall and gate surrounding the Abbey ( for instance, the Great Gatehouse, the " Abbey Gateway ", which is the only surviving monastic building other than the Abbey Church, dates from 1365 ).
Following the Reformation, the Abbey was dissolved in 1539 and the Abbey Church sold to the town in 1553 for £ 400: it became a Protestant parish church for the borough and the Lady Chapel was used as a school.
In 1877, in response to a public petition, Queen Victoria issued the second royal charter, which granted city status to the borough and Cathedral status to the former Abbey Church.
However, without Grimthorpe's money, it seems reasonable to assume that the Abbey Church would now almost certainly be a ruin, like many other former monastic churches, despite the work performed under Sir George Gilbert Scott in the years 1860 to 1877.
Research in the 20th century has focused on dating the manuscripts ( 19th-century scholars tended to date them older ); locating where the manuscripts were created — there were seven major scriptoria from which they originate: Winchester, Exeter, Worcester, Abingdon, Durham, and two Canterbury houses, Christ Church and St. Augustine's Abbey ; and identifying the regional dialects used: Northumbrian, Mercian, Kentish, West Saxon ( the last being the main dialect ).
To combat this and other practices that had corrupted the Church between the years 900 and 1050, centres emerged promoting ecclesiastical reform, the most important being the Abbey of Cluny, which spread its ideals throughout Europe.
Examples include the font at St. Mary's Church, Nottingham and also the font in the basilica of St. Sophia, Constantinople, the font of St. Stephen d ' Egres, Paris ; at St. Menin's Abbey, Orléans ; at Dulwich College ; and at the following churches: Worlingworth ( Suffolk ), Harlow ( Essex ), Knapton ( Norfolk ), St Martin, Ludgate ( London ), and Hadleigh ( Suffolk ).
After holding the traditional ordination of priests and bishops in December and confirming Farfa Abbey ’ s possessions on condition that every day the monks would recite one hundred “ Kyrie Eleisons ” as well as a yearly payment to the Roman Church of ten golden solidi, Stephen died on 24 January 817.
Specific sites linked to Robin Hood include the Major Oak tree, claimed to have been used by him as a hideout, Robin Hood's Well, located near Newstead Abbey ( within the boundaries of Sherwood Forest ), and the Church of St. Mary in the village of Edwinstowe, where Robin and Maid Marian are historically thought to have wed. To reinforce this belief, the University of Nottingham in 2010 has begun the Nottingham Caves Survey with the goal " to increase the tourist potential of these sites ".
In his lifetime, Henry Wilson only produced four sets of bronze doors, St Mary's Church, Nottingham, the chapel at Welbeck Abbey, the Salada Tea Company in Boston and these for the cathedral.
Ælfwine / Alboin is recorded in 1060 and 1062 in charters from the St. Foy Abbey Church in Conques.
* Paul of Caen is installed as Abbot of St Albans ; the building of St Albans Abbey Church commences.
The Collegiate Church of St Peter at Westminster, popularly known as Westminster Abbey, is a large, mainly Gothic church, in the City of Westminster, London, United Kingdom, located just to the west of the Palace of Westminster.
Westminster Abbey is a collegiate church governed by the Dean and Chapter of Westminster, as established by Royal charter of Queen Elizabeth I in 1560, which created it as the Collegiate Church of St Peter Westminster and a Royal Peculiar under the personal jurisdiction of the Sovereign.
Perhaps assuming that the Church would not return it to England, the stone's custodians left it on the altar of Arbroath Abbey, on 11 April 1951, in the safekeeping of the Church of Scotland.
In the 19th-century monasticism was revived in the Church of England, leading to the foundation of such institutions as the House of the Resurrection, Mirfield ( Community of the Resurrection ), Nashdom Abbey ( Benedictine ), Cleeve Priory ( Community of the Glorious Ascension ) and Ewell Monastery ( Cistercian ), Benedictine orders, Franciscan orders and the Orders of the Holy Cross, Order of St. Helena.

Abbey and was
That was the day that Pierre had told Warren about the Abbey of Solesmes.
One day when he attended a war memorial ceremony in Westminster Abbey his view was obstructed by a stout man on his left, his attention turned to the irregular pattern of the rough slab flooring and someone, clasping him by the arm, whispered, `` I want a word with you, please ''.
After becoming a monk at the monastery at Winchester, he was appointed Abbot of Tavistock Abbey in around 1027.
Ealdred was a monk in the cathedral chapter at Winchester Cathedral before becoming abbot of Tavistock Abbey about 1027, an office he held until about 1043.
That same year, as Ealdred was returning to England he met Sweyn, a son of Godwin, Earl of Wessex, and probably absolved Sweyn for having abducted the abbess of Leominster Abbey in 1046.
Sybilla died in unrecorded circumstances at Eilean nam Ban ( Kenmore on Loch Tay ) in July, 1122 and was buried at Dunfermline Abbey.
He died there in 1249 and was buried at Melrose Abbey, Roxburghshire.
Joan died in Essex in 1238, and was buried at Tarant Crawford Abbey in Dorset.
He was buried in Dunfermline Abbey.
He died in 1201, and was interred at Sorø Abbey.
Absalon was interred at Sorø Abbey, and was succeeded as Archbishop of Lund by Anders Sunesen.
He was noted for his piety and austerity, and rose to become abbot of Bath Abbey.
After his mother ’ s early death, Ansgar was brought up in Corbie Abbey, and made rapid progress in his education.
Arbroath Abbey, in the Scottish town of Arbroath, was founded in 1178 by King William the Lion for a group of Tironensian Benedictine monks from Kelso Abbey.
The Abbey, which was the richest in Scotland, is most famous for its association with the 1320 Declaration of Arbroath, believed to have been drafted by Abbot Bernard, who was the Chancellor of Scotland under King Robert I.
On Christmas Day 1950, the Stone of Destiny was stolen from Westminster Abbey.
In 2005 The Arbroath Abbey campaign was launched.
The Abbey was built over some sixty years using local red sandstone, but gives the impression of a single coherent, mainly ' Early English ' architectural design, though the round-arched processional doorway in the western front looks back to late Norman or transitional work.
The upper storey features a scale model of the Abbey complex, a computer-generated ' fly-through ' reconstruction of the church as it was when complete, and a viewing gallery with excellent views of the ruins.
An archaeological investigation of the site of the visitors ' centre before building started revealed the foundations of the medieval precinct wall, with a gateway, and stonework discarded during manufacture, showing that the area was the site of the masons ' yard while the Abbey was being built.

Abbey and enlarged
When his business was enlarged in 1881 by the establishment of a tapestry industry at Merton Abbey Mills, in South West London, Morris found yet another means for expressing the medievalism that inspired all his work, whether on paper or at the loom.
* The Saint Columbanus Abbey: Open to the public the long ground floor corridor, the main cloister ; the service yard ; the Abbey Museum, recently restored and enlarged, collects remarkable works and art objects of Roman, Medieval and Renaissance Age, and Town Museum is a sort of didactic journey, whose admittance is from the southern wing of the cloister, the only one that guards the original portico.
This arrangement lasted until 1102, when Robert Fitz Hamon greatly enlarged the church of Tewkesbury and transferred the community from Cranborne there transforming Cranborne Abbey into a priory subject to Tewkesbury Abbey.
With no church listed in the Domesday Book, it is believe the church was first built in the first half of the twelfth century by Payn of Hemingford, a tenant of Ramsey Abbey, and was enlarged over the following centuries.
Other churches are those of the Annunziata ( 13th century, with a decorated architrave over the portal by a Master Andrew of Priverno ), San Domenico ( erected in the first decades of the 13th century, and enlarged in 1298 ) and San Francesco ( 1222 ), which follows the Gothic Cistercian style of the Abbey of Fossanova.

0.307 seconds.