[permalink] [id link]
The American Elmer Sperry followed with his own design later that year, and other nations soon realized the military importance of the invention — in an age in which naval prowess was the most significant measure of military power — and created their own gyroscope industries.
Some Related Sentences
American and Elmer
* Elmer, Robert P. ( Robert Potter ) ( 1917 ) American Archery ; a Vade Mecum of the Art of Shooting with the Long Bow Columbus, OH: National Archery Association of the United States
* 1909 – Elmer L. Andersen, American businessman and politician, 30th Governor of Minnesota ( d. 2004 )
Joseph Elmer Yoakum ( February 22, 1889 – December 25, 1972 ) was a self-taught landscape artist of African-American and Native American descent, who drew landscapes in a highly individual style.
* May 20 – Elmer Fowler Stone, American aviator, the first United States Coast Guard aviator ( b. 1887 )
Johnny Belinda is a 1948 American drama film based on the play of the same name by Elmer Blaney Harris.
Shortly after the publication of Elmer Gantry, H. G. Wells published a widely-syndicated newspaper article called " The New American People ", in which he largely based his observations of American culture on Lewis ' novels.
* Gary H. Mayer, " Love is More Than the Evening Star: A Semantic Analysis of Elmer Gantry and The Man Who Knew Coolidge ", American Bypaths: Essays in Honor of E. Hudson Long.
In 1919, Larsen married Elmer Imes, a prominent physicist ; he was the second African American to receive a PhD in physics.
During the 1920s, Expressionism enjoyed a brief period of popularity in American theatre, including plays by Eugene O ' Neill ( The Hairy Ape, The Emperor Jones and The Great God Brown ), Sophie Treadwell ( Machinal ) and Elmer Rice ( The Adding Machine ).
* Elmer Eric Schattschneider — A prominent political scientist and former president of the American Political Science Association from 1956 to 1957
American and Sperry
The company was founded in 1886 as the American Arithmometer Company and after the 1986 merger with Sperry Univac was renamed as Unisys.
CBI's Burroughs Corporation Records includes over 100, 000 photographs depicting the entire visual history of Burroughs from its origin as the American Arithmometer Corporation in 1886 to its merger with the Sperry Corporation to form the Unisys Corporation in 1986.
He was a founder of the American Arithmometer Company ( 1886 ), which later became the Burroughs Adding Machine Company ( 1904 ), then the Burroughs Corporation ( 1953 ) and in 1986, merged with Sperry Corporation to form Unisys.
* August 20 – Roger Wolcott Sperry, American neurobiologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine ( d. 1994 )
Sperry Corporation was a major American equipment and electronics company whose existence spanned more than seven decades of the twentieth century.
Rocketdyne Division of North American Aviation Company provided the rocket engines ; Ford Instrument Company, division of Sperry Rand Corporation, produced the guidance and control systems ; and Reynolds Metals Company fabricated fuselage assemblies as subcontractors to Chrysler.
The American innovation of the manned, ventrally-mounted Sperry ball turret on the B-17 and B-24 bombers was a virtually self-contained defensive weapon system that rotated a full 360 degrees horizontally with a 90-degree elevation, and its pair of M2 Browning machine guns had an effective range of one thousand yards.
Elmer Ambrose Sperry ( October 12, 1860 – June 16, 1930 ) was an American inventor and entrepreneur, most famous as co-inventor, with Herman Anschütz-Kaempfe of the gyrocompass.
* Elmer Ambrose Sperry ( 1860 – 1930 ), American inventor and entrepreneur, founder of Sperry Gyroscope Company
Crossfield received the Lawrence Sperry Award ( 1954 ), Octave Chanute Award ( 1954 ), Iven C. Kincheloe Award ( 1960 ), American Rocket Society ( ARS ) Astronautics Award ( 1960 ), Harmon International Trophy ( 1961 at the White House by President John F. Kennedy ), Collier Trophy ( 1961 at the White House by President Kennedy in 1962 ), NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal ( 1993 ), and was named Honorary Fellow by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics ( AIAA ) ( 1999 ).
The Sperry section of Litton Marine Systems, based in Charlottesville, Virginia, was already producing its own line of marine radars, the Rascar, at the time of the acquisition but this was replaced by the BridgeMaster E. The Rascar had been the American-made radar of choice in the American Navy and Coast Guard but eventually the BridgeMaster E made inroads there as well.