Help


[permalink] [id link]
+
Page "Clapham Sect" ¶ 0
from Wikipedia
Edit
Promote Demote Fragment Fix

Some Related Sentences

Clapham and Sect
Evangelicals were also concerned with social reform during this period — in England the Clapham Sect included figures such as William Wilberforce who successfully campaigned for the abolition of slavery.
The Bloomsbury Group came from mostly upper middle-class professional families ; formed part of " an intellectual aristocracy which could trace itself back to the Clapham Sect ".
Category: Clapham Sect
The phrase ' Clapham Sect ' was a later invention by James Stephen in an article of 1844 which celebrated and romanticized the work of these reformers.
Members of the Clapham Sect included:
Among Forster's ancestors were members of the Clapham Sect, a social reform group within the Church of England.
* Henry Venn ( Clapham Sect ) the elder, ( 1725 1797 ), English evangelical minister
Clapham is famous as the home of Holy Trinity Clapham the Georgian Church on Clapham Common, from where The Clapham Sect led by William Wilberforce and a group of upper class evangelical Christians campaigned for the abolition of the slave trade in the 19th century.
In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, the Clapham Sect were a group of upper class ( mostly evangelical Anglican ) social reformers who lived around the Common.
His family had belonged to the Clapham Sect, the early 19th century group of mainly evangelical Christian social reformers.
Several of his friendships amongst the abolitionists were made in Clapham ( home to the Clapham Sect ) where he had moved from Sloane Square in 1797.
Category: Clapham Sect
He was a leader of the Clapham Sect, a group of evangelical Christians centered on his church who campaigned for prison reform and the abolition of slavery and cruel sports.
Category: Clapham Sect
Category: Clapham Sect
Social reform under politicians such as Robert Peel and campaigners like William Wilberforce, Thomas Clarkson and members of the Clapham Sect began to bring about radical change in areas such as the abolition of slavery, prison reform and social justice.
* The Clapham Sect
He was regarded as the grand old man of the abolition struggle, and although a driving force in its early days, his place had later been taken by others such as Thomas Clarkson, William Wilberforce and the Clapham Sect.

Clapham and were
With the exception of Morden and Clapham South, where more land was available, the new stations were built on confined corner sites at main road junctions in already developed areas.
The first and last new stations on the extension, Clapham South and Morden, include a parade of shops and were designed with structures capable of being built above ( like many of the earlier central London stations ).
Other notable residents of Clapham Common were Palace of Westminster architect Sir Charles Barry, Norwegian composer Edvard Grieg and 20th century novelist Graham Greene.
Many young university graduates and students also choose to live in the Clapham area, a tradition carried over from the days when some University of London halls of residence were situated there.
It was formed in 1965 from the former area of the Metropolitan Borough of Battersea and much of the former area of the Metropolitan Borough of Wandsworth, but excluding Clapham and most of Streatham, both of which were transferred to the London Borough of Lambeth.
They were discovered playing in a pub in Clapham, South London by Alan Anger, punk journalist. Their name at first was The Sneekers and they were a part of the Powerpop bands that included The Pleasers.
In the reform of local government in 1965 the Streatham and Clapham areas that had formed part of the Metropolitan Borough of Wandsworth were combined with Lambeth to form the London Borough of Lambeth.
Scions of the Howard family were also settled at the nearby estates of Clapham Park and Biddenham Manor.
Historically there were a number of other areas designated as Speakers ' Corners in other parks in London ( e. g., Finsbury Park, Clapham Common, Kennington Park and Victoria Park ).
They were originally all used by the government, but as bombing intensified five of them were opened to the public in 1944: Stockwell, Clapham North, Camden Town, Belsize Park and Clapham South.
In 1998, over 700 healthy, mature trees were discovered on the upper slopes of Mount Šimonka in Slovakia, but it is now believed they had survived courtesy of their isolation from disease-carrying beetles rather than any innate resistance ; 50 clones of these trees were presented to HRH The Prince of Wales for planting at his Highgrove Estate, and at Clapham, Yorkshire.
Sherbet were formed in Sydney in April 1969 by Dennis Laughlin on vocals ( ex-Sebastian Hardie Blues Band, Clapham Junction ), Doug Rea on bass guitar ( Downtown Roll Band ), Sammy See on organ, guitar and vocals ( Clapham Junction ), Clive Shakespeare on lead guitar and vocals ( Downtown Roll Band ), and Danny Taylor on drums ( Downtown Roll Band ).

Clapham and group
Henry Venn ( 1725 in Barnes, Surrey, England-1797 ), was an English evangelical minister and one of the founders of the Clapham Sect, a small but highly influential evangelical group within the Anglican Church.
Gisbourne was a central figure in the Clapham Sect, an abolitionist group which included William Wilberforce and Gisbourne's brother-in-law Thomas Babington.
As the Abolitionist movement began to gain momentum, a large group of British politicians, businessmen and churchmen, including members of the Clapham Sect, formed the Committee for the Abolition of the Slave Trade and in 1787 petitioned the government for gradual emancipation.
Stereo MCs are an English electronic dance group, which formed in Clapham, London, in 1985.
The London department store seen being blown up at the beginning of the film was actually Arding & Hobbs, located at Clapham Junction, SW11-which at the time of filming belonged to the Allders group.

Clapham and Church
* John Venn ( 1750 1813 ), Rector of Holy Trinity Church, Clapham
Thomas was educated at Macaulay Church of England Primary School, Victoria Rise, Clapham until 1974, where his party trick was to recite the first verses of the four gospels from memory, and then the independent Christ's Hospital School, where he attained O-levels and A-levels.
In 1851, Booth joined the Reformers ( Methodist Reform Church ), and on 10 April 1852, his 23rd birthday, he left pawnbroking and became a full-time preacher at their headquarters at Binfield Chapel in Clapham.
In the Diocese of Ripon and Leeds, it is a Church of England poor boys ' school originally taught by six elderly men, ancillary to the Bedale Poor Law, founded in 1608 by John Clapham of London, a Chancery clerk for Queen Elizabeth's William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley-whose son and heir Thomas Cecil, 1st Earl of Exeter held possession of neighbouring Snape, part of the larger Middleham estate which they inherited from Lord Latymer, before the Milbanks moved in from Halnaby.
He is a parishioner of St Mary's Catholic Church, Clapham.
with Christ Church: Starting from the meeting point of the parishes of St. George, St. Michael, and Christ Church and proceeding in a southerly direction along the plantation track and the boundary between the residential development called Fort George Heights and the Kent House residential development to the junction of the boundary with the public road called Highway R ; then in a westerly direction along Highway R to its junction at Wildey with the Airport to West Coast Highway ; then in a southerly direction along this Highway to its merging at Clapham with the public road called Highway 6 ; then in a north-westerly direction along Highway 6 to its junction with the public road called Observatory Road ; then in a southerly direction along Observatory Road to its junction with the public road called Fordes Road, then in a south-westerly part of Africa, north-westerly and northerly direction along Fordes Road, Bonnett ’ s Road and Brittons New Road to its junction with Dalkeith Hill ; then in a westerly direction along Dalkeith Hill to its junction with Deighton Road ; then in a generally southerly direction along Deighton Road to its junction with Dayrells Road ; then in a south-westerly, north-westerly and westerly direction along Dayrells Road to its junction at the Garrison with Dalkeith Road ; then in a generally south-westerly direction along Dalkeith Road to its junction with the public road called Highway 7 ; then directly across Highway 7 and continuing in a south-westerly direction along the road leading to Gravesend Beach and directly to the sea.
He died at Epsom at the age of 72 and was buried at Clapham Church.
* St Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Clapham
Henry Thornton was buried at St Paul's Church, Rectory Grove, Clapham, where a commemorative plaque records the fact, with an additional reference to the family vault nearby.
Church of St Mary the Virgin, Clapham, believed to have been built in the 12th century. The main part of the village is known simply as The Street, a single long dead-end road coming off the A280 and containing the majority of the village's housing.
Clapham & Patching Church of England | CE Primary School. The village primary school was established in the early 19th century, and has occupied its current building since the 1830s, with various improvements over recent years-the school finally gained indoor toilets in 1990.
Work of pre-Conquest date, however, is found in the massive tower of Clapham church, the tower of St. Peter's Church in Bedford town centre, and in a door of St Mary the Virgin in Stevington.
with St. Michael: Starting from the meeting point of the parishes of St. George, St. Michael, and Christ Church and proceeding in a southerly direction along the plantation track and the boundary between the residential development called Fort George Heights and the Kent House residential development to the junction of the boundary with the public road called Highway R ; then in a westerly direction along Highway R to its junction at Wildey with the Airport to West Coast Highway ; then in a southerly direction along this Highway to its merging at Clapham with the public road called Highway 6 ; then in a north-westerly direction along Highway 6 to its junction with the public road called Observatory Road ; then in a southerly direction along Observatory Road to its junction with the public road called Fordes Road, then in a south-westerly, north-westerly and northerly direction along Fordes Road, Bonnett ’ s Road and Brittons New Road to its junction with Dalkeith Hill ; then in a westerly direction along Dalkeith Hill to its junction with Deighton Road ; then in a generally southerly direction along Deighton Road to its junction with Dayrells Road ; then in a south-westerly, north-westerly and westerly direction along Dayrells Road to its junction at the Garrison with Dalkeith Road ; then in a generally south-westerly direction along Dalkeith Road to its junction with the public road called Highway 7 ; then directly across Highway 7 and continuing in a south-westerly direction along the road leading to Gravesend Beach and directly to the sea.

0.235 seconds.