Help


[permalink] [id link]
+
Page "The Pulteney Association" ¶ 4
from Wikipedia
Edit
Promote Demote Fragment Fix

Some Related Sentences

Pulteney and Estate
The town is named after Dugald Cameron, an early settler and land agent of the Pulteney Estate.
The town is named after Robert Troup, an agent of the Pulteney Estate.
served in the American Revolution in addition to being a Federal judge and later land agent for the Pulteney Estate.
The Pulteney Estate was a large tract of land stretching from Sodus Bay on Lake Ontario south to the Pennsylvania border.
Troup took over as land agent for the Pulteney Estate after its first agent, Charles Williamson, fell out of favor with the Estate owners due to large debts he incurred in an attempt to develop the land.
After Sir William's death in 1805, it was known as the Pulteney Estate.
* The Pulteney Estate during the Nineteenth Century
* The Pulteney Estate during the Nineteenth Century

Pulteney and was
Most notably ( and again William Pulteney was influential ), in 1801 Telford devised a master plan to improve communications in the Highlands of Scotland, a massive project that was to last some 20 years.
Established in 1818, the town of Henrietta was named after Henrietta Laura Pulteney, Countess of Bath in Great Britain.
Her father Sir William Pulteney, 5th Baronet, was a major British investor from the Pulteney Association who owned the land that became the town.
The town was formed from the Town of Pulteney in 1813.
Part of Pulteney was used to form the Town of Prattsburgh ( 1813 ) and part of the Town of Urbana ( 1848 ).
The " Pulteney Purchase " or " Pulteney Tract " was a section of land in the region of Steuben County purchased from Robert Morris by several English investors including Sir William Pulteney, 5th Baronet called " The Pulteney Association.
The town was part of the Pulteney Purchase.
The attacking force was six infantry divisions of the III Corps ( under Lieutenant General Pulteney ) on the right and IV Corps ( under Lieutenant General Woollcombe ) on the left, supported by nine battalions of the Tank Corps with about 437 tanks.
Pulteney Bridge was completed in 1773 and is designated by English Heritage as a grade I listed building.
It was rebuilt by John Pinch the elder, surveyor to the Pulteney estate, in a less ambitious version of Adam's design.
The left-centre column, commanded by Lieutenant-General Sir James Pulteney, was composed of:
Colman's father died within a year of his son's birth, and the boy's education was undertaken by William Pulteney, afterwards Lord Bath, whose wife was Mrs Colman's sister.
The park was also known as a duelling ground ; one particularly notorious duel took place there in 1730 between William Pulteney, 1st Earl of Bath and John Hervey, 1st Earl of Bristol.
The village was abandoned following its destruction by the punitive Sullivan Expedition of 1779, but resettled by Europeans around 1793 as a town developed by the Pulteney Association.
He was one of the earliest English parliamentary orators ; his speeches greatly impressed his contemporaries, and in a later generation, as Thomas Macaulay observes, they were " a favourite theme of old men who lived to see the conflicts of Robert Walpole and William Pulteney.
William Pulteney, 1st Earl of Bath, PC ( 22 March 1684 – 7 July 1764 ) was an English politician, a Whig, created the first Earl of Bath in 1742 by King George II ; he is sometimes stated to have been Prime Minister, for the shortest term ever ( two days ), though most modern sources reckon that he cannot be considered to have held the office.
The son of William Pulteney by his first wife, Mary Floyd, he was born in March 1684 into an old Leicestershire family.
Throughout the reign of Queen Anne William Pulteney played a prominent part in the struggles of the Whigs, and was involved in the prosecution of Henry Sacheverell.

Pulteney and by
Pitt now expected a new government to be formed led by Pulteney and dominated by Tories and Patriot Whigs in which he could expect a junior position.
Andrew Gardner and 61 others on September 10, 1761 by Governor Benning Wentworth, who named it for William Pulteney, 1st Earl of Bath.
* Incidents in the Early Settlement of Pulteney by J. W. Prentiss
The Avon then flows through Bathford, where it is joined by the Bybrook River, and Bathampton, joined by the Lam Brook at Lambridge in Bath and then it passes under Cleveland and Pulteney Bridges and over the weir.
In his hands the simple construction envisaged by Pulteney became an elegant structure lined with shops.
The Grenadier battalion of Guards, the 3rd Regiment of Guards and the 2nd battalion 5th Regiment which had been previously detached to march upon Schoorldam to keep up the communication with Sir James Pulteney, were joined by the remainder of the column, which, after taking Warmenhuizen, had been reinforced by the 1st battalion 5th Regiment, and the whole moved forward and seized the village.
In the next year he purchased a fourth share in the Covent Garden Theatre, a step which is said to have induced General Pulteney to revoke a will by which he had left Colman large estates.
When Townshend was dismissed, in April 1717, from his post of Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, and Walpole resigned, they were followed in their retirement by Pulteney.

Pulteney and series
In 1724, Philips would update poetry again by writing a series of odes dedicated to " all ages and characters, from Walpole, the steerer of the realm, to Miss Pulteney in the nursery.
Philips had written a series of odes in a new prosody of seven syllable lines and dedicated it to " all ages and characters, from Walpole sterrer of the realm, to miss Pulteney in the nursery.
In 1724, Philips would update poetry again by writing a series of odes dedicated to " all ages and characters, from Walpole, the steerer of the realm, to Miss Pulteney in the nursery.

Pulteney and including
This society was originally founded by women, and included many prominent members of English society, both male and female, including Harriet Bowdler, Edmund Burke, Sarah Fielding, Samuel Johnson, Elizabeth Montagu and Frances Pulteney.
Following various Georgian streets were built including Sydney Place, Great Pulteney Street and Laura Place, with Bathwick Hill leading up to Claverton Down and the University of Bath.
He invested in lands in America, and in developments in Great Britain, including the Pulteney Bridge and other buildings in Bath, buildings on the sea-front at Weymouth in Dorset, and roads in his native Scotland.
Pulteney also took a lively interest in many other engineering projects, including that of Bell Rock lighthouse, supporting a bill in 1803.

0.101 seconds.