[permalink] [id link]
The chapel at Mission San Gabriel Arcángel was designed by Father Antonio Cruzado who hailed from Córdoba, Spain which accounts for the Mission's strong Islamic architecture | Moorish influence.
Some Related Sentences
chapel and at
At the point where they ended, another settlement grew up around a chapel built at the boat landing by Father Lucian Galtier in 1840.
The women's committee of St. David's Church will hold its annual pre-Fair pink parade, a dessert bridge and fashion show at 1 p.m. on Monday, April 17, in the chapel assembly room, Wayne.
A Catholic priest recently recounted how in the chapel of a large city university, following Anglican evensong, at which there was a congregation of twelve, he celebrated Mass before more than a hundred.
Sentenced to prison for murder, Alex gets a job at the Wing chapel playing religious music on the stereo before and after services as well as during the singing of hymns.
As the Austrian imperial Kapellmeister from 1788 to 1824, he was responsible for music at the court chapel and attached school.
The substantial remains of the western cardo have now been exposed to view near the junction with Suq el-Bazaar, and remnants of one of the tetrapylones are preserved in the 19th century Franciscan chapel at the junction of the Via Dolorosa and Suq Khan ez-Zeit.
Bede's remains may have been transferred to Durham Cathedral in the 11th century ; his tomb there was looted in 1541, but the contents were probably re-interred in the Galilee chapel at the cathedral.
A mile from Bolventor there was a chapel of St Luke ( from the 13th to the early 16th century ): the font is now at the church of Tideford.
By 1574 there were castrati in the Ducal court chapel at Munich, where the Kapellmeister ( music director ) was the famous Orlando di Lasso.
There were also painted schemes in Basel ( the earliest dating from c. 1440 ); a series of paintings on canvas by Bernt Notke, in Lübeck ( 1463 ); the initial fragment of the original Bernt Notke painting ( accomplished at the end of the 15th century ) in the St Nicholas ' Church, Tallinn, Estonia ; the painting at the back wall of the chapel of Sv.
Dominic practiced self-scourging and would mortify himself as he prayed alone in the chapel at night for ' poor sinners.
In his memory, the Dowager Queen Maria arranged to establish a King's chapel at the accident place, which was consecrated one year later.
In 1926 his son arranged for the transfer of his father's remains to a specially created chapel inside the Puccini villa at Torre del Lago.
His description of the Doge ’ s close relationship with the saint, through the “ solemn pomp ” with which he attends mass at the saint ’ s chapel, attaches him to the aforementioned “ exceeding honour ”, in a similar fashion to the way in which Sanudo glorifies Venice as a whole by constantly referring to the beauty and worth of St. Mark ’ s square and chapel as part of his panoramic praise of the city.
He held many college offices, becoming successively lecturer in Greek ( 1651 ), mathematics ( 1653 ), and humanity ( 1655 ), praelector ( 1657 ), junior dean ( 1657 ), and college steward ( 1659 and 1660 ); and according to the habit of the time, he was accustomed to preach in his college chapel and also at Great St Mary's, long before he took holy orders on 23 December 1660.
Orton was cremated at the Golders Green Crematorium, his maroon cloth-draped coffin being brought into the west chapel to a recording of The Beatles song " A Day in the Life ".
The painting was eventually finished ; in fact, two versions of the painting were finished, one which remained at the chapel of the Confraternity and the other which Leonardo carried away to France.
Charles Welsford West ( architect ) designed the Romanesque chapel and annex ( 1903 – 05 ) at Mount St. Vincent Academy ( now University ).
The fortress incorporates some of the pre-existing southern walls, the pre-existing structures including the keep of Santo Martini, the San Giovanni tower and an ancient basilica which now serves as the fortress chapel. Though the town itself was eventually conquered, the fortress itself was never taken, an admirable feat, considering the size of the Sienese and Florentine forces that besieged Montalcino at varying intervals.
At the same time, Charlemagne was consciously reviving the Roman expression in his " palace " at Aachen, of which only his chapel remains.
chapel and Mission
Image: San Xavier del Bac inside. jpg | An interior view of the chapel at Mission San Xavier del Bac.
A notable example of an intact complex is the now-threatened Mission San Miguel Arcángel: its chapel retains the original interior murals created by Salinan Indians under the direction of Esteban Munras, a Spanish artist and last Spanish diplomat to California.
The Mission's chapel functioned as a parish church for the City of San Gabriel from 1862 until 1908, when the Claretian Missionary Fathers came to San Gabriel and began the job of rebuilding and restoring the Mission.
Though most of the Mission complex, including the quadrangle and convento, has either been altered or demolished outright during the intervening years, the façade of the Mission chapel has remained relatively unchanged since its construction in 1782 – 1791.
The Mission chapel, along with " Father Serra's Church " at Mission San Juan Capistrano, is one of only two surviving buildings where Father Junípero Serra is known to have officiated ( although " Dolores " was still under construction at the time of Serra's visit ).
During this period, wood clapboard siding was applied to the original adobe chapel walls as both a cosmetic and a protective measure ; the veneer was later removed when the Mission was restored.
* California Historical Landmark # 327-1 — site of original Mission Dolores chapel and Dolores Lagoon
The surviving chapel also serves as the final resting place of three padres who passed on while serving at the Mission: Fathers José Barona, Vicente Fustér, and Vicente Pascual Oliva are all entombed beneath the sanctuary floor.
A rebuilt and restored Mission Santa Clara was consecrated in 1929, when it assumed its primary modern function as chapel and centerpiece of the university campus.
Spanish Governor José Joaquín de Arrillaga was buried in the chapel after he died on July 24, 1814 during a visit to the Mission.
Vallejo helped to build the town of Sonoma and even paid for the rebuilding of the small Mission chapel.
" It was during this time that the Mission was sold to a man who used the chapel entrance as a saloon and stored his liquor and hay in the chapel.
The chapel at Mission San Juan Capistrano, built in 1782, is thought to be the oldest standing building in California.
He raised funds and in 1839 a specially designed mission cutter was built with a main cabin which could be converted into a chapel for 100 people, this later became first initiative of the Mission to Seafarers.