[permalink] [id link]
Ulysses is a decommissioned robotic space probe that was designed to study the Sun as a joint venture of NASA and the European Space Agency ( ESA ).
Some Related Sentences
Ulysses and is
* in exclamations, such as me miseram, " wretched me " ( spoken by Circe to Ulysses in Ovid's Remedium Amoris ; note that this is feminine: the masculine form would be me miser < ins > um </ ins >).
The fourth episode covers Circe's encounter with Ulysses, with the detail that he too is changed to a pig and only Eurylochus remains to rescue the men ( lines 242-307 ).
Ulysses is depicted as deeper in sorcery and readier of tongue than Circe and through this means leaves her pregnant with Telegonus.
This takes its beginning from Homer ’ s account, but it is then embroidered ; in particular, Circe ’ s love for Ulysses remains unrequited.
The name Daedalus is used in James Joyce's novels A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and Ulysses, though spelled differently in the last name of the character Stephen Dedalus.
* 1933 – U. S. federal judge John M. Woolsey rules that the James Joyce's novel Ulysses is not obscene.
It is arguably most famous as the location of the greatest works of James Joyce, including Ulysses, which is set in Dublin and full of topical detail.
* In his novel Ulysses, James Joyce mentions the bird while the novel's main character is drifting into sleep.
The world's largest car ferry, Ulysses, is operated by Irish Ferries on the Dublin – Holyhead route.
* 1904 – Irish author James Joyce begins a relationship with Nora Barnacle and subsequently uses the date to set the actions for his novel Ulysses ; this date is now traditionally called " Bloomsday ".
* Merugud Uilix maicc Leirtis (" On the Wandering of Ulysses, son of Laertes ") is an eccentric Old Irish version of the material ; the work exists in a 12th-century AD manuscript that linguists believe is based on an 8th-century original.
Ulysses is derived from Ulixes, the Latin name for Odysseus, a character in ancient Greek literature.
* Ulysses is the middle name of fictional character Dr. Perry Cox on TV show Scrubs and Guybrush Threepwood from the adventure game series Monkey Island series.
* December 17 – General Order No. 11, which expelled all Jews from his military district, is issued by General Ulysses S. Grant.
In the 1999 Will Smith film, Wild Wild West, the joining ceremony is the setting of an assassination attempt on then U. S. President Ulysses S. Grant by the film's antagonist Dr. Miguelito Quixote Loveless.
Ulysses is launched October 6, 1990, and reached Jupiter for its " gravitational slingshot " in February 1992.
Ulysses and decommissioned
Ulysses and space
* The Japanese-French anime Ulysses 31 ( 1981 ) updates the ancient setting into a 31st-century space opera.
* Ulysses discovered that dust coming into the Solar System from deep space was 30 times more abundant than previously expected.
Accordingly, Ulysses was first sent towards Jupiter, aimed to arrive at a point in space just " in front of " and " below " the planet.
John Ferguson of Big Fresh and Ulysses joined the Apples in 2007, also playing keyboards, and wearing a Doctor Who-esque space suit on stage.
The knnn also transport a human ship they had found, the Ulysses, into hani space, and Tully is reunited with his species.
During 66 orbits of the Earth, the five-man crew successfully deployed the Ulysses spacecraft, starting the interplanetary probe on its four-year journey, via Jupiter, to investigate the polar regions of the Sun ; operated the Shuttle Solar Backscatter Ultraviolet instrument ( SSBUV ) to map atmospheric ozone levels ; activated a controlled " fire in space " experiment ( the Solid Surface Combustion Experiment, or SSCE ); and conducted numerous other middeck experiments involving radiation measurements, polymer membrane production, and microgravity effects on plants.
He develops the Ulysses android ( which looks exactly like him ) for the purpose of space exploration, since an android would not be affected by the isolation.
Jeff decided to go into space while the android takes his place on Earth so Ulysses and Frankie ( who by now are deeply in love ) can be together.
Ulysses and probe
Two other satellites made observations at the time of the impact: the Ulysses spacecraft, primarily designed for solar observations, was pointed towards Jupiter from its location 2. 6 AU away, and the distant Voyager 2 probe, some 44 AU from Jupiter and on its way out of the Solar System following its encounter with Neptune in 1989, was programmed to look for radio emission in the 1 – 390 kHz range.
Had STS-51-L been successful, Challengers next mission would have been the deployment of the Ulysses probe with the Centaur to study the polar regions of the Sun.
Typically, a determination came from comparing: one of several spacecraft orbiting the Earth, an inner-Solar-system probe ( to Mars, Venus, or an asteroid ), and Ulysses.
The crew for STS-26 is based on the original crew assignment of STS-61-F, which would've launched the Ulysses probe from Challenger in 1986.
The four-day mission with a primary objective to launch the Ulysses probe as part of the " International Solar Polar Mission ".
In May 1985 he was named Commander of the Centaur-boosted Ulysses solar probe mission, STS 61F ( sponsored by the European Space Agency ).
Shepherd then served as a mission specialist on three Space Shuttle flights: mission STS-27 in 1988, mission STS-41 in 1990, which deployed the Ulysses probe, and mission STS-52 in 1992.
During 66 orbits of the Earth, the STS-41 crew successfully deployed the Ulysses spacecraft, starting this interplanetary probe on its four-year journey, via Jupiter, to investigate the polar regions of the Sun.
It defines a Heliospheric mission for ICE consisting of investigations of coronal mass ejections in coordination with ground-based observations, continued cosmic ray studies, and the Ulysses probe.
He was recruited by Caltech's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a NASA FFRDC Contractor, where he played a role in several NASA programs, including the Magellan probe to Venus, the Ulysses probe to the Sun, the Galileo spacecraft to Jupiter, and the Mars Observer and Mars Pathfinder.