[permalink] [id link]
Antony fails to capture Mutina and Decimus Brutus is murdered shortly after.
Some Related Sentences
Antony and fails
The Death of Cleopatra by Reginald Arthur ( 1892 ) Her plan fails: rather than rushing back in remorse to see the " dead " Cleopatra, Antony decides that his own life is no longer worth living.
Antony and capture
After defeats in battle, the desertion of his Armenian allies and his failure to capture Parthian strongholds convinced Antony to retreat, his army was further depleted by the hardships of its retreat through Armenia in the depths of winter, losing more than a quarter of its strength in the course of the campaign.
An army led by Mark Antony ( Sid James ), slogging through wet and miserable weather, attacks a village ( where the inhabitants still wear skins and live in caves ) and capture some people as slaves.
It has been speculated that he was not allowed to capture Berlin because he was Polish ; this is according to Antony Beevor, author of the book Berlin: The Downfall 1945.
Antony and Mutina
* 43 BC – Battle of Forum Gallorum: Mark Antony, besieging Julius Caesar's assassin Decimus Junius Brutus Albinus in Mutina, defeats the forces of the consul Pansa, who is wounded.
* 43 BC – Battle of Mutina: Mark Antony is again defeated in battle by Aulus Hirtius, who is killed.
Brutus refused to surrender the province and Antony set out to attack him in the beginning of 43 BC, besieging him at Mutina.
In April 43, Antony's forces were defeated at the Battles of Forum Gallorum and Mutina, forcing Antony to retreat to Transalpine Gaul.
* April 14 – Battle of Forum Gallorum: Mark Antony, besieging Caesar's assassin Decimus Brutus in Mutina, defeats the forces of the consul Pansa, but is then immediately defeated by the army of the other consul, Hirtius.
** Antony is again defeated in the Battle of Mutina by a coalition of Octavian, Decimus Brutus, and the two consuls of the year.
* December – Antony besieges Brutus Albinus in Mutina ( Modena ), with Octavian, an ally of Decimus, who is one of his uncle's assassins, close by.
Antony had Decimus Junius Brutus Albinus confined in position around Mutina ( modern Modena ), just south of the Padus ( Po ) River on the via Aemilia.
Antony and Decimus
Antony, left as sole Consul, surrounded himself with a bodyguard of Caesar's veterans and forced the senate to transfer to him the province of Cisalpine Gaul, which was then administered by Decimus Junius Brutus Albinus, one of the conspirators.
In the civil war following Caesar's assassination, the city was besieged once again, this time by Mark Antony, in 44 BC, and defended by Decimus Junius Brutus.
Decimus Brutus spent his youth mainly in the company of Publius Clodius, Gaius Curio and Mark Antony.
On the Ides of March ( March 15 ), when Caesar decided not to attend the Senate meeting due to the concerns of his wife, he was persuaded to attend by Decimus Brutus, who escorted him to the senate house, and neatly evaded Mark Antony, who wished to tell Caesar of the assassination plot.
With his own political situation on the verge of disaster and himself declared public enemy, defeating Decimus Brutus was a way for Antony to regain his ascendancy and get control of the strategically important Italian Gaul.
Decimus Brutus was given the command to wage war against Antony, but many of his soldiers deserted to Octavian.
Antony and Brutus
Upon the death of Deiotarus, the Kingdom of Galatia was given to Amyntas, an auxiliary commander in the Roman army of Brutus and Cassius who gained the favor of Mark Antony.
He played Mark Antony and his brother Edwin had the larger role of Brutus in a performance acclaimed as " the greatest theatrical event in New York history ".
Casca, Marcus Junius Brutus and Cassius decided, in the night before the Assassination of Julius Caesar, that Mark Antony should stay alive.
When they knew that Marcus Junius Brutus and Gaius Cassius were assembling an army in order to march on Rome, Antony, Octavian and Lepidus allied in November 43 BC, forming the Second Triumvirate to stop Caesar's assassins.
The Parthian Empire had supported Brutus and Cassius in the civil war, sending forces which fought with them at Philippi ; following Antony and Octavian's victory, the Parthians invaded Roman territory, occupying Syria, advancing into Asia Minor and installing Antigonus as puppet king in Judaea to replace the pro-Roman Hyrcanus.
* 42 BC – First Battle of Philippi: Triumvirs Mark Antony and Octavian fight a decisive battle with Caesar's assassins Brutus and Cassius.
His heirs Mark Antony and Octavian confronted the assassins of Caesar, Marcus Junius Brutus and Cassius, at the Battle of Philippi in the plain to the west of the city during October in 42 BC.
* October 3 – First Battle of Philippi: The Triumvirs Mark Antony and Octavian Caesar fight an indecisive battle with Caesar's assassins Marcus Brutus and Cassius.
* October 23 – Second Battle of Philippi: Brutus ' army is defeated by Antony and Octavian, the Triumvirs smash through the weakened Republican centre and take Brutus's right wing in its flank.
The play ends with a tribute to Brutus by Antony, who proclaims that Brutus has remained " the noblest Roman of them all " because he was the only conspirator who acted for the good of Rome.
* Julius Caesar ( 1953 ), starring James Mason as Brutus, Marlon Brando as Antony and Louis Calhern as Caesar.
* Julius Caesar ( 1970 ), starring Jason Robards Jr. as Brutus, Charlton Heston as Antony and John Gielgud as Caesar.
In 1984 the Riverside Shakespeare Company of New York City produced a modern dress Julius Caesar set in contemporary Washington, called simply CAESAR !, starring Harold Scott as Brutus, Herman Petras as Caesar, Marya Lowry as Portia, Robert Walsh as Antony, and Michael Cook as Cassius, directed by W. Stuart McDowell at The Shakespeare Center.
Antony and is
Actium is chiefly famous as the site of Octavian's decisive victory over Mark Antony ( September 2, 31 BC ).
The final conflict was provoked by Antony, who is said to have been persuaded by his lover, the queen Cleopatra of Egypt, to retire to her land and give battle to mask his retreat ; but lack of provisions and the growing demoralization of his army would eventually account for this decision.
Arguably his most read work is his biography of Anthony the Great entitled Vita Antonii, or Life of Antony.
Mark Antony supposedly gave Cleopatra over 200, 000 scrolls ( taken from the great Library of Pergamum ) for the library as a wedding gift, but this is regarded by some historians as a propagandist claim meant to show Antony's allegiance to Egypt rather than Rome.
Mark Antony is instructed by Caesar to strike his wife Calpurnia, in the hope that she will be able to conceive:
At one point Macbeth even compares himself to Antony, saying " under Banquo / My Genius is rebuk'd, as it is said / Mark Antony's was by Caesar.
Whatever conflicts existed between the two men, Antony remained faithful to Caesar but it is worth mentioning that according to Plutarch ( paragraph 13 ) Trebonius, one of the conspirators, had ' sounded him unobtrusively and cautiously ... Antony had understood his drift ... but had given him no encouragement: at the same time he had not reported the conversation to Caesar '.
* Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series, Antony is portrayed as a deeply flawed character, a brave warrior but sexually promiscuous, often drunk and foolish, and a monster of vanity who loves riding in a chariot drawn by lions.
* 43 BC – The Second Triumvirate alliance of Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus (" Octavian ", later " Caesar Augustus "), Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, and Mark Antony is formed.
The younger man is Mark Antony being lured by the wiles of the reclining woman ( who is Cleopatra, with the snake being an asp ) into losing his manly romanitas and becoming decadent, with the bearded elder male figure being his mythical ancestor Anton looking on.
The woman languishing is Octavia Minor, abandoned by Mark Antony, between her brother Augustus ( left, as a god, as on the contemporary Sword of Tiberius ) and Venus Genetrix, the ancestor of Augustus and Octavia's Julian gens.