[permalink] [id link]
Day after day Fogg shuttled back and forth on his one-man air mail route, until the farmers in their snowy barnyards and the road repairmen came to recognize the stubby plane as their link with the rest of the country.
from Brown Corpus
Some Related Sentences
Day and after
* Easter, or Resurrection Day ( Christians )-celebrated the First Sunday after the first full moon on or after the Spring Equinox, near March 21st ( between March 22 and April 25 )
It has been celebrated as The Emperor's Birthday from 1927 to 1988, then renamed as Greenery Day after Hirohito's death in 1989.
* Earliest day on which Ascension Day can fall, while June 3 is the latest ; celebrated 40 days after Easter ( Christianity ), and its related observances
Individuals will arrive at both everlasting homes during Judgment Day, which commences after the Angel Israfel blows the trumpet the second time.
* Manuel Luis Quezón Day ( Quezon City and other places in The Philippines named after Manuel L. Quezon )
One of Johnson's last significant acts as President was to grant unconditional amnesty to all Confederates on Christmas Day 1868, after the election of Ulysses S. Grant but before he took office in March 1869.
* Earliest day on which Store Bededag or General Prayer Day can fall, while May 13 is the latest ; observed on the 4th Friday after Easter day.
* Earliest day on which First Day of Summer or Sumardagurinn fyrsti can fall, while April 25 is the latest ; celebrated on the first Thursday after April 18.
Following its construction, the Arc de Triomphe became the rallying point of French troops parading after successful military campaigns and for the annual Bastille Day Military Parade.
Meteorologists ( and most of the temperate countries in the southern hemisphere ) use a definition based on months, with autumn being September, October and November in the northern hemisphere, According to United States tradition, autumn runs from the day after Labor Day ( i. e. the Tuesday following the first Monday of September ) through Thanksgiving ( i. e. the fourth Thursday in November ), after which the holiday season that demarcates the unofficial beginning of winter begins.
He made his headquarters at Chicago's Lexington Hotel ; after the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, it was nicknamed " Capone's Castle ".
A recent change in legislation now allows Indiana residents to purchase alcohol on Election Day after all polls are closed.
Evers brought this to the attention of the umpire that day, Hank O ' Day, who after some deliberation called the runner out.
Today, Boxing Day is better known as a bank or public holiday that occurs on 26 December, or the first or second weekday after Christmas Day, depending on national or regional laws.
Boxing Day is a secular holiday that is traditionally celebrated on 26 December, the day after Christmas Day, which is also St. Stephen's Day, a religious holiday.
The holiday for Proclamation Day is observed on the first weekday after Christmas Day or the Christmas Day holiday.
Day and day
The day before Election Day, to which we are entitled as a legal holiday, we were informed to report to our respective polls to work as `` workers of the party ''.
On my first Guy Fawkes Day here, I found Catholics as well as non-Catholics celebrating with the traditional fireworks and bonfires, and was told that most Englishmen either do not know or are not concerned with the historical significance of the day.
* Earliest day on which National Heroes ' Day can fall, while August 28 is the latest ; celebrated on the fourth Monday in August.
) In the extraordinary form of the Roman Rite and in the Anglican Communion, All Souls Day is instead transferred, whenever 2 November falls on a Sunday, to the next day, 3 November.
* This Day in Alternate History, dedicated to showing significant events in years past on this day that shaped history ... just, not our history.
* Earliest day on which Commerce Day, or Frídagur verslunarmanna, can fall ; celebrated on the first Monday of August.
* Earliest day on which International Friendship Day can fall, celebrated on the first Sunday of August.
* Earliest day on which Melon Day can fall, while August 14 is the latest ; celebrated on the second Sunday in August.
* Independence Day, celebrates the day on which Pakistan was made an independent country based on border lines created by the British during the end of their rule of India in 1947.
* Earliest day on which Day of Hearts can fall, while August 21 is the latest ; celebrated on the third Monday in August.
This day is celebrated as St. George's Day in England, and as the day of the birth and death of William Shakespeare.
On January 27, 1945, Auschwitz was liberated by Soviet troops, a day commemorated around the world as International Holocaust Remembrance Day.
The first Arbor Day was held on April 10, 1872 and an estimated one million trees were planted that day.
The People's Republic of China celebrates Arbor Day on March 12, a day founded by Lin Daoyang, continue to use following the date of Arbor Day of Republic of China.
Day and back
-- Farm machinery dealer Bob Houtz tilts back in a battered chair and tells of a sharp pickup in sales: `` We've sold four corn pickers since Labor Day and have good prospects for 10 more.
The team went back to wearing this uniform at home on Thanksgiving Day in 2009 while their opponent was the Oakland Raiders who wore their AFL Legacy Weekend throwbacks.
The origins of Labour Day in Canada can be traced back to December 1872 when a parade was staged in support of the Toronto Typographical Union's strike for a 58-hour work-week.
Joseph Smith, Jr. ( who would later become the founder of the Latter Day Saint movement ) said that on the night of September 21, 1823, Moroni appeared to Smith and told him about the Golden Plates that were buried ( in a stone box ) a few miles from Smith's home ; visited Smith various times over the course of the next six years ; and after Smith translated a portion of the writing on the plates ( either one-third or two-thirds ; accounts vary ) as the Book of Mormon, Smith turned the plates back over to Moroni.
But she drifted back to songwriting and occasional recording sessions for the fledgling Capitol Records in 1947, for whom she produced a long string of hits, many of them with lyrics and music by Lee and Barbour, including " I Don't Know Enough About You " and " It's a Good Day " ( 1948 ).
It's also common to use this technique to simultaneously portray both participants in a telephone conversation, a long-standing convention which dates back to early silents, as in Lois Weber's triangular frames in her 1913 Suspense, and culminating in Pillow Talk, where Doris Day and Rock Hudson share a party line.
On the Ferris Bueller's Day Off DVD commentary ( featured on the 2004 DVD version ), John Hughes reveals that he shot the two films back to back to save time and money, and some outtakes of both films feature elements of the film crews working on the other film in each case.
The film he produced for Goldwyn, The Day of Faith, was a moderate success, putting his career back on track.
It was originally planned The Day After would be aired in May, but it was pushed back to November to allow for the post-production work that would reduce the film's length.
By 1976, Queen were back in the studio recording A Day at the Races, which is often regarded as a sequel album to A Night at the Opera.
Communitarianism has been traced back to early monasticism, but in the twentieth century began to be formulated as a philosophy by Dorothy Day and the Catholic Worker movement.
Late 2011 Doe Maar were announced as the headliners for 2012's Symphonica in Rosso-concert series ; tying in with the 30th anniversary of Doris Day, Rene van Collem is back on drums ( Jan P. now resides in Spain ).
* Terminator 2: Judgment Day ( 1991 ): Two Terminators, a T-800 and a T-1000, are sent back in time from 2029 to 1995 to, respectively, protect and kill John Connor as a ten year old child.
In The Captive Temple, Xanatos attacks the Jedi Temple and nearly assassinates Yoda, but Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan thwart his plans, and in The Day of Reckoning, when they chase Xanatos back to his homeworld Telos, the fallen Jedi refuses to surrender and commits suicide.
Henderson was born in Chicago, Illinois, and named Rickey Nelson Henley, named after singer-actor Ricky Nelson, to John L. and Bobbie Henley on Christmas Day, 1958, in Chicago, in the back seat of an Oldsmobile on the way to the hospital.
On 21 December 2007, a speech by Aristide marking the new year and Haiti's Independence Day was broadcast, the fourth such speech since his exile ; in the speech he criticized the 2006 presidential election in which Préval was elected, describing it as a " selection ," in which " the knife of treason was planted " in the back of the Haitian people.
Salisbury holds an annual St George's Day pageant, the origins of which are claimed to go back to the 13th century.
Principal outdoor photography for The Day the Earth Stood Still was shot on the 20th Century Fox sound stages and on its studio back lot ( now located in Century City, California ), with a second unit shooting background plates and other scenes in Washington.
Following the Israeli victory over the Jordanians in the Six Day War, the area came back under Jewish control for the first time in 2, 000 years and the 600-year-long restriction limiting Jews to the seventh step was lifted.
* New Year's-A tradition going back to the Zoog Disney days in 2000, the network airs a marathon into the early morning of New Year's Day of programs, films and moments deemed the best by viewer vote on disneychannel. com, followed by an original series marathon on New Year's Day ( the exception was 2011 due to New Year's Eve occurring on a Saturday that year ).